Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Tooth Implant Info

>

Trinia2

Tooth Implant Info
Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 PM

I posted a while back about a molar that I had had a root canal done on and then a crown and how it continued to hurt. I went to the dentist today and he said it was a fractured tooth. He suggested I get an implant before it gets worse and more bone loss. I asked about a bridge and he said that would cost a lot and would only last ten years. He said he would credit the cost of the post and crown I had done toward the implant. I am 61. Is it worth doing the implant or should I go with the bridge? I already have two bills on Care Credit and I don't think insurance covers implants. What is your experience with implants?

Trinia2 is offline   Reply With Quote

newbieteach

Old 01-02-2014, 06:09 PM

I have an implant that I have had since I was about 10-12. I am now 32 and I have no issues at all with it. I can't tell you much about the cost because I got mine a very long time ago. They tried to just put a crown around a sliver of what was left of the tooth (got knocked out) but that didn't stay. It fell out. Once they did the implant, it never came out. One issue that I did have was I got an infection in the gum where the implant it. I don't know if this is a common thing or not.

My mom has a bridge and it was really expensive. Don't they have to knock out teeth around the broken tooth? I wouldn't want them to knock out more teeth than they have to.

Anyway, good luck deciding!
newbieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

Maybe ask another dentist for a second
Old 01-02-2014, 06:12 PM

opinion or perhaps there is a nurse who is associated with your insurance company who could give you good advice?
My mom is in her mid 70's and has done several dental implants during the last two years. She had a partial lower and full upper plate for years and they had caused such gum loss and bone loss that she had to have a bone graft done. I have heard that a partial nearly always causes damage to the teeth to which it is anchored so perhaps the implant would also prevent further tooth loss as well?
Good luck!
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

texteach55

implant
Old 01-02-2014, 06:13 PM

I love my implant. I got it when I was 57. I figured I'd have it for at least 20 years. Hopefully I'll live that long... Everyone I know who opted for a bridge regrets it. I'd go for the implant. Good luck with your decision.
texteach55 is online now   Reply With Quote

sunsets11

Old 01-02-2014, 06:20 PM

I'm 32 and had a "surprise" tooth out a while ago - still waiting to get a bridge, but that's what the dentist advised. I did talk with a few people in the field before deciding, but bridges are significantly cheaper and the only real problems people have with them are about decay of the surrounding teeth (they attach the bridge to them) but that's preventable just like any cavity....

The biggest deciding factor for me was money - and the fact that both were "forever".

sunsets11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 01-02-2014, 06:29 PM

I too had a fractured tooth. After a entodontist performed a root canal he said it most likely would not be effective. He didn't charge me! The tooth is just fine now and the bone has regenerated! I was facing an implant. I have no idea what to tell you. Teeth are so darn expensive. Could you tell if the tooth was mssing? Do you even need a birdge if the tooth is missing? Would it be possible to remove the tooth and later have a bridge put in when your Care Credit is paid off? Gosh it's hard to decide.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 PM

My mom has a mouth full of implants she got them at age 70. She loves them. She had dentures since she was 16.

DH and I have been using Ora md. We both had gingivitis years back, and since we have begun using it..... we have had VERY healthy gums. So if you are prone to gingivitis or gum infections I would suggest you give it a try.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Teeth
Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 PM

I had a rotted out crown and chose a bridge. Now I wish I had gone with the implant. I didn't realize they had to break down the neighboring teeth as much as they did. I'm not having issues with it but if I had it to do over again, I'd go with the implant.
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 01-02-2014, 08:41 PM

I wish I could go with an implant, but nerve damage has me very gun shy. My neurologist said to avoid anything that stirs up that nerve again. Partial it is... The teeth on either side are both healthy and my dentist does not want to place a bridge. He said if the neighboring teeth were full of fillings, he'd feel differently. But since they are both good, he won't do a bridge. *sigh*
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Rt2learn

Old 01-03-2014, 03:11 AM

I've had an implant for about six years. It doesn't bother me at all. Cost - my dentist, and I talked about it very extensively, because of money, pros, cons, etc. We even talked about dentures because the cost of an implant would be the same as the cost for either lower or upper dentures. (At that time, it was almost $2,000.) The pros of the implant out weighted everything else. In looking back, I would make the same decision and do it all over again.

Rt2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-03-2014, 09:18 AM

I had one of my molars that had a root canal and two previous crowns break under the crown. There wasn't enough tooth left to do a new crown, so I had an implant put in. I just finished the process about a month ago. The worst part was having to wait 3 months for the bone to grow around the post before the crown could be put on. And the expense, of course. But now it's done and I'm happy with it.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote