managing student teaching while going to school and working - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Future Teachers

managing student teaching while going to school and working

>

alynicole

alynicole

managing student teaching while going to school and working
Old 02-17-2020, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

how do you go about doing student teaching while also going to school and working? is it a possibility for me to student teach while taking classes and working at least a part time job at the same time?

TAOEP

Old 04-01-2020, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Basically you don't. Many universities specifically tell students NOT to plan to have another job while student teaching. And usually no other coursework, although sometimes there is a seminar of some sort for student teachers.

Bottom line is that you will not have time.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote
PGibbs2014

PGibbs2014

Can't do it all
Old 06-08-2020, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My University made it very clear that students need to plan ahead for student teaching and not plan on working at the same time. They allow you to enroll in other classes but strongly suggest against working. So plan plan plan and save save save.
katfray94

katfray94

Old 06-12-2020, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have been told by professors and student teachers there is no time for a job. It is important to plan and save before student teaching. The student teachers I heard from did not have to do EdTPA and did not have time to work, so if you have to do EdTPA you won't have time for work and proper student teaching.

MissESL

Old 06-12-2020, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We were not allowed to have outside jobs during student teaching. The amount of work is too much! There was a waiver process, but honestly, it was way more trouble than just not having a job!

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-12-2020, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We were encouraged not to work. I kept my part time job, but I literally worked like 8 hours per week (that's all they would give us) at my college's rec center. The vast majority of the time I was able to get other work done at that job so it was no big deal.

I'm not sure how it would work to take other classes- why do you need to take other classes? Our program was set up so that second semester of senior year, student teaching was the only "class" we took. I did a dual certification so my cohort was required to take one 2 credit class at the same time, but we were the only ones. The class also met from like 7-9 PM 1x per week and didn't really add on additional work. We discussed the things we were already doing in ST/did projects that would have been required for ST anyway.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCummins

Student Teaching while working
Old 06-14-2020, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi Alynicole!

I am in the same boat as you, I am stressed about not being able to work while student teaching. My advice to you would be to save, save, save as much as you can now so that you do have the wiggle room financially while you student teach.

Good luck!
MrsCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Amber R.

Amber R.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I plan on student teaching in Spring 2021 and I plan on keeping my part time job that I have. I do work full time at a school already, but during student teaching I will step down from that. My part time job is only 2 days a week, so I personally think it will be possible. But we will see! Good luck to you!
Ms.V

Ms.V

Student Teaching
Old 09-19-2020, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi there,
I am student teaching right now and I also am a substitute teacher. I have worked once this year, it is pretty hard to work while student teaching. I am also taking a grad school class, just one! That is doable if you are pretty organized. Waiting tables at night might work? But you have to do "school work" in addition to teaching and all the meetings etc. Good luck!

cabernet

Old 09-20-2020, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Schools often tell you not to work at a job outside of student teaching. Understandably this is the best option. For me, it was not and I worked 20-30 hours a week. You can do it if you manage your time well.

cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote