read aloud

>

maries1

maries1

read aloud
Old 08-29-2006, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,
I am in need of a good read aloud book to my fifth graders. Does anyone have any good ideas? Along with me reading, I also want them to do a reflection journal.

Thanks!

lthompson

read aloud
Old 08-29-2006, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you ever read Summer of the Swans? I've used it as well as Snow Treasure. Summer of the Swans is about a young girl who has a "beautiful" older sister and a mentally handicapped younger brother. Her mother died before the story begins so she and her siblings are being raised by an aunt. Snow Treasure is based on a true story about a group of children in Norway who help to smuggle a supply of gold out of the country even though their town has been occupied by Nazi troops. If you want a shorter story, you might try The Cabin Faced West. I don't think it has as much to reflect on, but it ties in with our Social Studies content. The books by Gary Paulson are usually well-received by the kids, but we have to link what we read with our tested content. Hope that helps some. Good luck!
Oh, one more thought. I really like to read Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry with the kids and that should give you a lot of topics and emotions to reflect on.
lthompson is offline   Reply With Quote

jensw

Old 08-29-2006, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh, I loved Summer of the Swans. I'm reading Tracker by Gary Paulson right now. I've never read it myself, but it came recommended by someone I respect. So far both the class and I like it a lot. I'm planning to read Sounder and Where the Red Fern Grows, too.

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry is a great idea! I had 8th graders read it as a novel study, but it would be a good read-aloud for 5th grade. Excellent for reflection journals.
jensw is offline   Reply With Quote

jch

Read Aloud
Old 08-29-2006, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Off the top of my head:

I loved reading "The Fairy Rebel" by Lynne Reid Banks. (Indian in the Cupboard fame).

Tale of Despereaux by the author of Because of Winn-Dixie. She's also just come out with a new one, but I haven't gotten it yet.

Becoming Naomi Leon and Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
jch is offline   Reply With Quote

Chris G

Read Alouds
Old 08-30-2006, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I only get one period a day with my kids for language arts, so I have to squish in a read aloud. The only two books I got to read last year were Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick (make sure you preread that one, though) and Frindle (Andrew Clements). Both were huge hits. The year before that I read Desperaux and Poppy (guess I was into talking animals).

Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote

Rebcasale

Read-a-Louds
Old 08-30-2006, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ruby Holler - Sharon Creech

Secret of Platform 13 - Eva Ibbotson
Rebcasale is offline   Reply With Quote

azteachermom

Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Island of the Blue Dolphins is a good book for fifth graders.
azteachermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Chrissa

Chrissa

Fifth grade teacher Cambridge MA
Old 08-30-2006, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The Gift Giver is a great beginning of the year book. It's about a group of fifth graders in Harlem and how a new kid changes the social dynamic, bringing out the best in all of them and bringing the group together.

I also like The Lemming Condition by Alan Arkin which is about a young lemming who dares to question the wisdom of jumping off the cliff. It deals with the issue of whether to think for yourself or follow the crowd and handles the subject with humor but also with intelligence.

Morning Girl is also a good book for early in the year, especially if your social studies is American history. It's about a young Taino Indian boy an girl who (at the very end) are the first to see the strangers (whom we know to be Columbus) arrive. But the other two books are better for the first book of the year.

SusanTeach

Hatchet
Old 08-30-2006, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I read that with my 5th graders and they really loved it. They begged me to keep reading. So many got hooked on it and kept reading the series or other Gary Paulsen books. A reflection journal would be fun to do with that book because it's all about survival. We did a lot of talking about how you'd survive in the wilderness.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
TXKing

TXKing

Old 08-31-2006, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

A couple that I like to read with my kids are Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth Speare. This book is great to use for Point of View and to have the kids journal by writing letters to the parents of the boy in the book. It is also a great tie in with history for westward expansion and how the settlers dealt with native americans.

Also another good one is Among the Hidden. It is a great adventure book and the kids love it. One that kind of goes along with this one is The Girl Who Owned a City.

i teach k

i remember my fifth grade read aloud
Old 08-31-2006, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

a good read aloud is soooo important. i remember only one thing about when i was in fifth grade....my teacher read "the boxcar children" to us every afternoon. i loved that book so much. i imagined being in that story and the adventures that they had. i was very tiny and so i sat in the front row. my teacher used to stand right in front of me reading. i can still picture her hands and what they looked like holding that book. i think she had arthritis because they were kind of knobby....but i was just so into the whole experience that i still remember her hands. read "the boxcar children"...they will remember it forever. i'm 46, so that was 36 years ago and i still remember.
i teach k is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

another
Old 08-31-2006, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I mentioned Hatchet (which I still highly recommend!), but I just remembered another one my students loved - Where the Red Fern Grows. In fact, my BIL was telling me how much he hated school, hated reading, etc... until his teacher read that book (he's in his 30s now).
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

rebeccav

great reads
Old 09-02-2006, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

They also love: The Single Shard, The year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson.
rebeccav is offline   Reply With Quote
LTT

LTT

Pictures of Hollis Woods
Old 09-02-2006, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My 5th graders read this for the first time last year and they loved it. Many of them could relate to the issues that Hollis was dealing with and BMI has a really great literature guide (filled with graphic organizers) that can help you along the way.

Good Luck

tillmadd

read aloud favorites
Old 09-03-2006, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Yes I agree with the previous poster Picture of HW the kids will love it!
Other favorites in my class were:
Bud Not Buddy
Watson's Go to Birmingham
Hatchet
Things Not Seen
Esperanza Rising
Walk Two Moons
Giver
Ruby Holler

Author:
Lois Lowry
Jerry Spinelli
Pamela Munos Ryan
Andrew Clemente
Mildred Taylor
Christopher Paul Ryan
tillmadd is offline   Reply With Quote

rlimmekus

Old 09-05-2006, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Depending on the class makeup, Crash is a good novel. It deals a lot with treating others with respect. You have to feel out your class, though, as I've had classes that think the mean things the character does are cool.

I have to agree with Tale of Desperaux. Kate DiCamillio's new book, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is a good book with a good life lesson. It might be a little below fifth grade, though. It's about a china rabbit that experiences many different homes.

A good newer book is Chasing Vermeer by Blue Ballet (I think I spelled that wrong). It is a mystery about an artist. There are clues through pentominoes in the book that the kids can try to figure out.

My kids liked How to Be a Perfect Person in Three Days. Short book, good for the beginning of the year, leads into some good discussion about accepting yourself for who you are.
rlimmekus is offline   Reply With Quote
Phyl

Phyl

5th Iowa
Old 10-19-2006, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I found the book the Family Tree by Katherine Ayres a few years ago. It is the first book that I read aloud to my 5th graders. It is a book about her new 6th grade teacher assigns them the assignment to make a family tree. The little girl whose name is Tyler doesn't know anything about her family. She discovers that her father had been Amish and was shunned by his community. Her mother is dead and knows nothing about her side of the family. It is a good read. My students have learned a lot about the Amish and some of their beliefs.

tippey1

read aloud
Old 09-06-2007, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Jennifer Murdley's Toad by Bruce Coville
I have read this to my fifth graders for 13 years in a row and they all LOVE IT!! It usually gets them hooked on Bruce Coville books.
tippey1 is offline   Reply With Quote