Help

ARCHIVE

Ancient Civilizations

>

Chris G

Ancient Civilizations
Old 01-20-2007, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My private school has decided to pursue a "classical" curriculum, and I've been told that I must integrate Ancient Civilizations throughout my LA and SS curriculum next year. The five strands will be Ancient Sumer, Egypt, Greece, Rome, and Israel. Mythology, yes, but any further ideas, ESPECIALLY of literature/titles?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Chris

Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote

kwh

What age?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The Magic Tree House series has several great stories where the children travel back to anciet times - many of them also have accompanying non-fiction guides. I use Hour of the Olympics each year where there are Olympic Games, and I also have the Guide to Ancient Greece that goes with it. There are also the Time Warp Trio books that you could consider.
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote

Chris G

Age level: Fifth Grade
Old 01-21-2007, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Fifth Grade, but our school is pushing for "above average"...he talked about Gilgamesh and abridged Julius Caeser!
Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote

kwh

check these out
Old 01-21-2007, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here are some more thoughts - since I guess the last ones aren't really going to help.

http://ancienthistory.mrdonn.org/Ideas.html

http://www.mrdonn.org/ancienthistory.html

Also, go to your local teacher store and look for the Teacher Created Materials thematic units. They have several that are based on ancient civilizations. Here's a link to their catalog website (which has sample pages). These books are great because each one has a whole page with literature connections related to the unit. You could just go and browse those for some ideas. I love TCM units because they are interdisciplivary.
http://www.buyteachercreated.com/est...RM=powersearch

I hope this helps get you started - it sounds like an interesting ride that are taking!
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote

SC

Old 01-21-2007, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The Egypt Game is a good book that a couple of previous students read on their own.

SC is offline   Reply With Quote

urteacher

Some ideas
Old 02-09-2007, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my county, our 5th grade SS Curriculum consists of Ancient Civilizations. Our school is also considered "above average." We just finished reading "The Egypt Game" and my students loved it. I am going to follow up with "The Gypsy Game" as a class read aloud, which is a continuation. Our next class novel is "Children's Homer" which is, I believe, a 6th grade text. I also use many United Streaming videos to supplement the text. Here are some other titles we use to integrate these themes.

The Children's Homer by Padraic Colum; Tales of King Arthur by Felicity Brooks; Lost Temple of the Aztecs by Shelley Tanaka.
urteacher is offline   Reply With Quote