Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

freezing chicken and trash cans

>

ljones11

freezing chicken and trash cans
Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay so these are two totally unrelated questions but I figured I'd post them together so as not to take up so much room

I always stock up on chicken breasts when they're on sale (this week they're $1.50!) and freeze them in individual Ziploc bags. But I have such a hard time transferring the breast to the baggie without getting chicken goop on the outside of the bag! It grosses me out because then they are germs on the outside of the bag, which goes in the freezer. I put the small bags in a larger bag, but still all those germs! Any ideas to solve this problem??

As for the trash cans, my kitchen one is SO nasty. I've had it for about a year now, but I've never actually cleaned it! (I know, don't start on me....) I hate hate hate cleaning trash cans because they get so icky, and now I'm seriously considering just throwing this one away and buying a new one. Ever done this? Is that awful to spend money on something I totally don't need?!

teacherpippi

Old 02-24-2009, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you not like to touch the chicken breasts with your bare hands? Could you use a plastic/latex glove to transfer the chicken? What about wiping the outsides of the baggies off with a paper towel sprayed with cleaner?

Can you hose your trash can out?

jeb151

I'm totally with you.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

throw it away! I am sure that there are a million excellent ways to clean them, but just get a new one! I don't think that they were meant to be cleaned anyway. Why else would they be called GARBAGE cans?

Evergreen

Old 02-24-2009, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Turn the baggie inside out. Put your hand in it and pick up the chicken breast. Then turn the bag rightside out. The chicken will be in the bag, and the outside of the bag will be clean.

I gag and dry heave if I have to touch raw chicken/meat.

Miss Binney

Old 02-24-2009, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have placed a zip lock bag over a glass and pulled the top over the edge of the glass to fill a baggie with icing. I didn't want the icing to goop everywhere. You could probably do the same thing and just drop a chicken breast inside.

Teach'n'Learn

Old 02-24-2009, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Don't throw it away!! Regardless of the money, that's why we have such a ridiculous amount of garbage destroying our lands. Too many of us are stuck in a disposable mindset.

If you line it with a garbage bag, you'll only need to rinse it out every once in a while if you spill something. You can also line the bottom with newspaper to soak up any spills if the bag gets a hole.

When I use a napkin or a paper towel and it's basically clean, I quickly wipe down the front of the trash can before tossing it.

Oh, and Evergreen's method of bagging chicken is how I bag all meat when using floppy bags.

ljones11

Old 02-24-2009, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Inside out baggies I never thought of that! Thank you Evergreen!

As for my trash can, I know it's bad to throw it out. It's just gotten REALLY bad due to dh never looking to see if there's a bag in it Maybe I'll hunker down and clean it this weekend...but I do like the newspaper at the bottom suggestion. Thank you TeachnLearn!

There you go--both my problems solved. What would I do without all the good ideas here on PT????

Ima Teacher

Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Take the trash can outside and use the hose on it. I put a little dish soap in mine, spray it with the water hose, and then rinse with bleach water.

I always keep newspaper in the bottom to soak up spills, and I "double bag" the trash . . . one bag stays in the can all the time, and the other bag is the one that the trash goes in.

Sue W.

Rubber bands for the garbage can!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Whether you clean the old one, the eco-friendly thing to do, or get a new one, prevent the problem next time.
The inside of my garbage can always got gunked up when the bag would slip off one side or another when I stuffed it. I got some big rubber bands that hold the bag securely around the edge of the can and none of the stuff escapes the bag now.
If you are getting stuff on the outside, make the habit of wiping it down quickly when you finish dinner dishes and the dish cloth will go into the laundry anyway. It never will get dried on and crusty

Ima Spedtcher

Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You have gotten a lot of great ideas for the chicken thing.

For the trashcan- this is what I do. I use it as a mop bucket when I mop every weekend (you have to clean it really well first)- using it as a mop bucket really helps keep it clean!

Rascalrose

@ The Car Wash
Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Whenever I have something fairly large to was I throw it in the back of the truck and take it to one of those self serve car wash garages... Just brace it against the way and fire away with the high powered hose.