Help

ARCHIVE

Timed Tests

>

mduarte1027

Timed Tests
Old 06-27-2008, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I give my 2nd grade students addition and subtraction timed tests. I can't remember if the tests have 25 or 30 problems on them. What do you think is a good time for that many problems? I want to stick with one time for all the students, but I also want my lower students to have a chance at success? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mduarte1027 is offline   Reply With Quote

NIUTeach

Timed Tests in my school
Old 06-27-2008, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year I started off with the full page of the timed tests with 100 problems and I was giving my kids 4 minutes and a teammate said that 2nd grade is supposed to get 5 minutes. I would grade the tests and give them back to them on Mondays for them to record in a graph. Thing is, there wasn't enough space for 100 problems on the graph, so we recorded to the nearest 5 - i.e., I got 63 right, so I color up to 60. By November, that was still confusing to a majority of them... It seemed also I only had a couple of students who could actually complete the test in 5 minutes and that was discouraging...

Anyway, I cut the tests in half to use for this upcoming year, so 50 problems....and I think I am going to give them 3 minutes. I think the lower kids will get used to the test and 3 minutes will be okay for them and I think the high kids will be challenged a bit still. Also, this will be much easier to record.

NIUTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Blueyes

Timed Tests
Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For many years, I gave one minute timed tests to my first graders. There were 20 problems on the test. The other teacher gave 100 problems. The kids in her class had to answer them without skipping any, until time was up. Then she would add up how many they completed correctly. The next day they would start where they left off. They would try to beat their amount every time. This was a good way for them to compete against themselves instead of others. Last year, I used 20 for the third grade addition/subtraction and later multiplication. I'm not sure what I'll use in second this year.
Blueyes is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Mad Minute
Old 06-27-2008, 10:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think the Mad Minute program starts with 20 facts in a minute and builds to thirty, then forty, then fifty. It doesn't differentiate grade levels.

The only way I have ever successfully gotten the majority of my kids to memorize math facts is to make it a graded test and inform parents that their child recieves a grade in my grade book for it. I give them one minute to do twenty every Friday. Each one is worth 20 points. In a grading period they've done six timed tests. I drop the lowest one, and that gives them a possible one hundred points, which equals one test grade - that gets averaged in to the report card grade. I put the graded timed test on top of the signed test papers that go home each week, first thing the parent sees, right under the behavior report.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

garnet

timed tests
Old 06-28-2008, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also give 100 in 5 minutes. I let them skip around and only count the correct ones. I begin though with 50 in 3 min.

garnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 06-28-2008, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was using a 100 problem test last year, and I found the kids would get discouraged by mid test, or they would tire out. It is monotonous to give that many problems.

I started cutting the sheet in half, and for HW they had 1/4 the page for practice. I time each student (they come to me and get their time, so a few seconds are added each time. My FASTEST kids finish in less than 2 minutes, but slowest would still take about 5 minutes. Their speed improved from 10(!!!) minutes at the beginning of the year, but they could never really get faster because of handwriting. Average, was maybe 3 minutes for 50 problems.

Most of my kids could do 25 in 3 minutes. This would be generous in my mind, because even the lowest SHOULD be successful. If there is a way you could have kids do it in 3 minutes (and then kids could try to get LESS time each time, that would be great. Maybe you could put a stop watch UNDER a document camera, then if they write the time they finish each time they can track how much LESS than 3 minutes they get each time and graph that or record it. So the top students can try to beat their own record each time. I think I can do 25 problems in like 17 seconds or something (I timed myself) but my fastest kid ever go it in about 45 seconds.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeRocks

Hopping Thru Math Facts
Old 06-28-2008, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I give 25 problems and 2 minutes to answer them. It's differentiated in that they are each working on the fact family they need to master. This is how it works:

Each student starts with addition facts of 0 and 1 (0+0, 0+1, 0+2, 1+0, 1+1, etc.). The students that answer all 25 correctly in 2 minutes move on to the 2's, etc. Once they've mastered the addition problems they start with subtraction. Sounds confusing to manage, right? It's not.....this is what I do:

My theme was frogs last year. I made a BB with lily pads arranged in a circle. The lily pads were labeled with a fact family. Each student had a tadpole with their name on it. As they mastered a fact family their tadpole was placed on the corresponding lily pad. The tadpoles were attached using a push pins so it was easy to move them from lily pad to lily pad. When a student was on the subtraction facts I had them attach a lily flower to the back of their tadpole so I could tell who was doing addition and who was doing subtraction. Once they mastered the subtraction facts they "turned" into a frog. Their frog was placed in the middle of the lily pad ring and they no longer needed to take the timed tests.

When it was time to administer a timed test I could simply look at the BB and grab the correct test for each student. I wrote their name on the back of their test. When it was time to pass them out I could easily place them, face down, on the correct desk. Once everyone had their test and I said "Go" they flipped their test over and began.

My students LOVED this!! They would beg for a timed test so they could move their tadpoles. Each student had a master sheet of facts that they studied from. They could look at the BB to see which fact family they should be studying.

Since there are less than 25 problems for each fact family I would add problems from previous families to fill in the gaps.

Each test fits on a half sheet of paper. Also, since students were on different families, chances are the person sitting next to you had a different test so cheating was not an option!

I can send the timed tests and study masters to anyone interested. Just PM me.
2ndGradeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote

pcastro

timed tests and study masters
Old 06-28-2008, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would love to have a copy of them! Thank you for sharing!
peggycastro@yahoo.com
pcastro is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndRocks

Where do you get your fact sheets?
Old 06-28-2008, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Last year we switched from Saxon to Harcourt. Saxon supplied all of the fact sheets. At the beginning of last year I started copying Mad Minute worksheets and got tired of keeping them organized, plus all of the copying I was doing. My students DID NOT know their facts at the end of the year, like in previous years. Our third grade teachers wanted use to make the change, so we did! I know the students promoting to them this year will be behind in the facts area. So my questions are: 1) Where do you get your fact sheets? 2) If you have to make copies...what organization system do you use? I like to make copies for the month or unit.
2ndRocks is offline   Reply With Quote

go bucks

Timed tests
Old 06-28-2008, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I really found your handling of timed tests fascinating. I WOULD be interested in seeing your tests and the study masters. How can I get a peek at those? Thanks, go bucks

go bucks is offline   Reply With Quote

go bucks

timed tests
Old 06-28-2008, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I just responded to your description of your timed tests, and requested a copy of your tests and study masters. I neglected to send my e-mail. It is phuling@sbcglobal.net. thanks again, go bucks
go bucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Avalanche

Rocket Math
Old 06-28-2008, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

At my school. we use a program where each student has his or her own goal of problems to complete in a minute. They initially take a test on how fast they can copy numbers (this gives them a goal). I can't remember the exact name of the program, we call it Rocket Math because they work their way up a rocket from level A to Z. This year I had 2 students complete both multiplication and division levels. It's a great way to allow students to work at their own pace.
Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1989

timed tests and study masters
Old 06-28-2008, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

2ndGradeRocks, l'm also interested in your tests and masters.
My email is: elospina@aol.com. Thanks!!!!
teach1989 is offline   Reply With Quote

sriche

hopping through math facts
Old 06-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'd love a copy of your time tests and study masters. Our second grade team has given 100 facts in 6 minutes then 5 minutes for several years and are looking for a change. My e-mail is riches@wdmcs.org. Thanks!
sriche is offline   Reply With Quote

msamyb

rocket math
Old 06-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My school uses rocket math/otter creek math. Like the PP mentioned, each child has their own goal set at the beginning of the year based on a quick quiz of copying numbers. They then take quizzes and try to reach their goal or higher up to 40 possible right in one minute. If they pass quiz A then they move on to B and so on. I love this program! They have addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Definitely worth looking into.
msamyb is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeRocks

I have sent the tests to....
Old 06-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

....sriche, teach1989, go bucks, and pcastro. I'll keep checking this thread for more requests.

2ndRocks - I made my own tests and study masters. I keep a folder of the tests (addition in one, subtraction in another) - each family is paper clipped together. After school on a day I have given the test I get the next batch ready. that way they are ready whenever I have a few minutes to administer the test. It really isn't hard to manage.

westernteach

facts...
Old 06-28-2008, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

2ndgraderocks...if it's not too much trouble I would also like a copy of your timed tests and study masters. Thanks! westernteach04@yahoo.com
westernteach is offline   Reply With Quote

bamateach

timed tests
Old 06-28-2008, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I have the 100 problem pages that I cut in half so they have 50 problems. I give them 2 min. 30 sec. to complete. In 1st grade I gave 25 problem page and they had 1 minute. Occassionally, without anyone noticing I set my timer for an additional 10-15 sec. if I think it might help someone that has been stuck on one for a while and is getting really close. It isn't graded and is just for practice so I don't want anyone to get overly frustrated.
bamateach is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeRocks

Westernteach
Old 06-28-2008, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have e:mailed them to you.

Enjoy!

nat2teach

test masters
Old 06-29-2008, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

This is such a great idea! I really want to try this because my kids got so overwhelmed with all the facts at a time last year! Would you please e-mail me the masters! I really appreciate it!

natandcharles07@gmail.com
nat2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

mduarte1027

frogs
Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I also have a frog theme in my classroom, and I love your idea, I might steal it. I love the idea of posting it on a bb. I would love if you could e-mail me the tests you use, i already have some I use but I would like to get an idea of what you're using.
Thank You
mduarte@mjusd.com
mduarte1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ms

Ms

math
Old 06-30-2008, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Could I also please a copy emailed to me? I really appreciate you willing to share your wonderful ideas!

Thank you!

bernardsrancher@comcast.net

Tcher4life

Math Facts
Old 06-30-2008, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Can I please have a copy emailed to me also. I decided last year to group the facts in a similar way and I would love to see how you did this. Thanks so much for sharing! drewandrachaeldavid@yahoo.com
Tcher4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Katrinas20

2nd Grade Rocks
Old 06-30-2008, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I would like a copy of your timed tests and study masters. Thank you in advance!

katrinas20@hotmail.com
Katrinas20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irishmom

math facts
Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

2nd grade rocks, Could I get a copy of your math facts pages, too? Sounds like they could easily be incorporated with fact family activities from the school bell site. Thanks so much, Irishmom apl@columbiainet.com
Irishmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapnstitch

Rocket math/Otter Creek
Old 06-30-2008, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I used this year for the first time. The kids were so motivated by it and I loved it, too! I had a 1/2 class and they all worked at their own pace. I had one 2nd grader who went through the entire program add. sub. mult. divi. I had 2 first graders who were working on division at the end of the year and 3 more who were working on multilplication. Then I had first and second graders who were still in subtracion at the end. Everyone completed addition.
Tapnstitch is offline   Reply With Quote

RookieTeach

Timed Test Masters
Old 06-30-2008, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Can you please send me a copy as well? Thanks so much!

emily.hodgkins@gmail.com
RookieTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeRocks

I just sent the math tests to....
Old 06-30-2008, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Rookie Teach, Irishmom, katrinas20, tcher4life, Ms, mduarte1027, and nat2teach.

Enjoy!

1983girl

me too
Old 06-30-2008, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

2ndgraderocks can I get a copy of those tests as well. I'm moving from 1st to 2nd and any ides would be great. Thanks clouddreamer21@msn.com
1983girl is offline   Reply With Quote

tarantulalady

Old 07-01-2008, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I would live a copy of your tests and masters as well. I also do a frog theme and love your lily pad idea. I have two blocks of 18 students for math. I wonder if I should have one big pond or two smaller ones?
prassasfamily@tx.rr.com
Thanks
tarantulalady is offline   Reply With Quote

diluka

2ndgraderocks
Old 07-01-2008, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I too would love a copy of your tests and lily pads if possible.

dionnea@centurytel.net

Thanks
diluka is offline   Reply With Quote

flash123

time tests
Old 07-01-2008, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I would really likek to hae a copy of your time tests and study masters. Please email to lesley.cook@smriders.net

Thanks so much
Lesley
flash123 is offline   Reply With Quote

cucusia

timed test
Old 07-01-2008, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I would love a copy, cucusiaivy@yahoo.com
cucusia is offline   Reply With Quote

AmazonWoman

Fact Family Timed Test
Old 07-01-2008, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Would love, love a copy! Have given timed tests for years and have not found any that really worked. Love the idea using the fact families! My email is zerrer220@sssnet.com.
Thank you! :-)
AmazonWoman is offline   Reply With Quote

SnoopyLover

5 Minutes
Old 07-01-2008, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Our team gives both addition and subtraction up to 10 at the beginning of the year to build some confidence. They get 5 minutes to complete them. We move on to the harder facts to 18 as students master them. We move on to 100 facts at the semester for most students. Students who have instant fact memory of addition and subtraction move on to multiplication and/or division. Last year I had 4 of 22 taking multiplication and division at the end of the 3rd quarter until June. They loved the challenge!
SnoopyLover is offline   Reply With Quote

ndtchr

Time Tests
Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I need to do something different this year with time tests as my students really struggled with them this past year. I would love a copy of your tests.

My e-mail is arnmom@gmail.com

Thanks so much for sharing!
ndtchr is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeRocks

Tests sent to
Old 07-02-2008, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I just sent tests to 1983girl, tarantulalady, diluka, flash123, cucusia, AmazonWoman, SnoopyLover, and ndtchr.

Enjoy!!

Grammyteach

Timed Tests
Old 07-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

2ndgraderocks, can I get a copy of the timed tests? I also use a frog theme and love your idea. Thanks, sstockton@rivercrestisd.net
Grammyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Woble27

may i have a copy too!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

i would love to have a copy of your tests in the fact families!!

steph_urban@hotmail.com
Woble27 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach77

timed tests
Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

2ndGradeRocks....

I would also LOVE a copy of your timed tests!
I'll send you a private message with my e-mail address.

Thanks in advance!
Deb

Last edited by luv2teach77; 07-02-2008 at 07:21 PM..
luv2teach77 is offline   Reply With Quote

1steduc8or

This will be my first year of teaching 2nd
Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

and I have virtually nothing for this type of activity! Would you mind sharing this with me? My email address is Mistyis@hotmail.com.

I really appreciate it!
1steduc8or is offline   Reply With Quote

teach_flower

where can I find those?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Hi~ I have given timed test to 3rd and 4th graders...but wanted to know where to get copies of the mad minute...thanks~
teach_flower is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforkids

Timed Test Request
Old 07-03-2008, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

Hello! I've just joined in order to get more information/copies of your timed tests. Would you please be so kind as to e-mail to Marshia.Hawkins@gmail.com

Thank you so much! It sounds like the number of questions you are using to assess will not overwhelm the kids. I do appreciate your help in creating an initial assessment for next year.

Thanks again,

timeforkids
timeforkids is offline   Reply With Quote

NoElephants

2ndGradeRocks
Old 07-03-2008, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

Please send me a copy of your tests as well. I have used Mad Minute but I like your idea much better! Thanks!!

alegau@neisd.net
NoElephants is offline   Reply With Quote

auntchrissy

Me Too!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I would love to have a copy of these tests. I am going to use foam picture frames and every time they make a 100 on a timed test they get to add a decorations to their frame. My math wall will have a space that says we are BEARY smart when it comes to math facts and that's where the frames will be with their pictures! Thanks for your help. Chris My e-mail address is chart1@mindspring.com
auntchrissy is offline   Reply With Quote

leelee990

Timed tests, please!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

I would love to look at the tests also. Thanks for sharing!
alicia1232001@yahoo.com
leelee990 is offline   Reply With Quote

alicej

2nd grade rocks
Old 07-04-2008, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

Could I have a copy of your tests also? Thanks
alicej is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeRocks

Oh My!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

Who would have thought my little timed tests would have generated so much interest!!! I am honored!!

I just sent copies to panther, luv2teach77, Lifelong Tchr, rhubarb, 2ndRocks, leelee990, auntchrissy, NoElephants, timeforkids, 1steduc8or, Woble27, and Grammyteach.

alicej - I need your e:mail address. Send it to me through PM.

Enjoy!

imafive

on line 3 minute test
Old 07-04-2008, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

http://www.mrmyers.org/Math_Mania/ttadd.html
imafive is offline   Reply With Quote

imafive

check out these tests
Old 07-04-2008, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

http://www.math-drills.com/addition.shtml
imafive is offline   Reply With Quote

momof4boys

timed tests from 2ndGradeRock's
Old 07-25-2008, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

Please can you send me a copy of your timed tests and study masters? Do you have multiplication too? thanks

pam.wolf@esc9.net
momof4boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Neighbour

Timed tests from 2ndgraderocks
Old 08-13-2008, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

I hate to ask but could you send me your masters too please?
alverne@shaw.ca
Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote