Help

Special Education

How to use paraprofessional if we do remote learning

>

panther1987

How to use paraprofessional if we do remote learning
Old 07-15-2020, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So my district hasn't finalized the plan yet but I suspect we will be starting online. I didn't really use my para during distance learning in the spring. Any thing I could think of having her do was easier to do myself than explaining what I needed her to do. My para sat in on a couple of lessons but there really wasn't much for her to do and we ended up talking over each other a few times. So, what kinds of things did you have your paraprofessional do during distance learning?

TIA
Tammy

panther1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-15-2020, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In the spring our paras had "office hours" via zoom with the idea that students would stop in for real time help with their school work. The idea wasn't mine, but I thought it was brilliant. Except none of our kids used it, even when I encouraged parents to check it out.

I wonder if this year I might schedule "appointments" between the paras and students to see if that makes them more likely to take advantage of the support. They can check in, nag, I mean motivate, the student to get their work done, offer help if the student doesn't understand something, etc. Maybe even have some sort of incentive if they show up.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-15-2020, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our classrooms that were lucky enough to have paras had them meet in one on one sessions with students and do specidfic activities, listen to them read, work math facts or problems, and do read aloud with small groups. If you have decent paras, they should be able to do some similar things that they do in class.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

panther1987

Thanks for the ideas
Old 07-15-2020, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My para spends most of their time supporting kids in gen ed classrooms. None of the teachers thought that would be helpful this spring. Our leadership didn't want them having one on one meetings but maybe this year will be different. It took them half the quarter to say they could contact parents/students.Thanks for the ideas.
panther1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 07-15-2020, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Last spring my district said students couldn't meet 1:1 with students. This year, if that's the same policy, I'm going to have them lead small groups like they usually would otherwise I won't be able to meet minutes. I'll sign in and just mute my sound/video so that technically I'll be present. If there's a problem the para can text me and I'll hop in. I'm hoping that even if we have to go all virtual we can still be in our classroom, because that would eliminate the problem altogether.

pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-17-2020, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would totally have a para keep track of work that was turned in and work that wasn't. Beyond that, I'd have to see about the kids, minutes and needs. And parents needs. And teachers' needs.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Resources-Paras in Distance Learning
Old 07-20-2020, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I found these on my Pinterest pages:

Ways to Utilize Paraprofessionals During Distance Learning
http://www.breezyspecialed.com/2020/...ls-during.html

Paras: 15 Ways to Support During Distance Learning
https://mrspspecialties.com/paras-15...ance-learning/
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

sweetgirl2020

May I suggest
Old 07-30-2020, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hello Tammy

I used my paraprofessional as the contact person for the parents ensuring that they communicate any missed messages as well as helping to answer any parent questions.I split the students by grade gave my paras phone numbers and a communication log. Communication was due once a week. They will also conduct small group lessons and monitor participation in activities. That way we can divide and conquer tutoring sessions. We had sixty kids in our unit therefore they were greatly needed and appreciated. Best of Luck

Sweetgirl2020
sweetgirl2020 is offline   Reply With Quote