Would schools rather take on new teachers for less money if they have less schooling? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Would schools rather take on new teachers for less money if they have less schooling?

>

hebronharvest

Would schools rather take on new teachers for less money if they have less schooling?
Old 07-19-2020, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'll let you know my position. I've taught less than a year as a main teacher but have been in schools for a year. I started out in a math department at a Middle School teaching interdisciplinary lessons, then got hired in December as an English teacher full-time at a high school. In June, my position was cut and I'm back to the same position I was in last year, looking for a job.

I've so far had 8 interviews but haven't gotten hired (came real close on one). I've nearly applied to every school in central or east of the state (within 50 mile range) and have not been hired. I interviewed at some schools last year that choose not to give second interviews again. I've been getting interviews but not much past that stage besides the two jobs I've been lucky to hold (but ended up not being permanent).

I'm a new teacher but I also already have my Master plus 30 credits, having done the whole school part backwards. I've been told I've had strong interviewing skills lately (which have gotten better over all of the interviews I've had), but it seems impossible to progress, and it only seems like it works randomly for those two jobs. Obviously, I have the knowledge and have finally gotten a bit of experience under my belt. Now I can't get hired and I refuse to take a subbing job again (as it really can't benefit me much more since I've been there / done that).

My question is: am I overqualified in schooling but not experienced enough? Schools would have to pay me more and since I don't have years of teaching, is this looked down upon? The school I graduated from was quick to say this wasn't the case, but they haven't lived the reality either. I always look for feedback and have received little feedback overall. I've also been told my teaching skills are great, but I'm wondering if having so much schooling (4 degrees, 2 undergrad, 2 masters) are preventing me from receiving a job without being told so.

In any case, I'm still looking, still getting interviews, but I feel I am selling myself out of the state since I've interviewed all over. I'm relatively young (30) and they know I have ambition, but it's not enough right now. I need to start getting going on my career and may consider another career if the job doesn't work out this year. I know I still have time, but it's running out and I would rather not like to go jobless for a third summer if I cannot lock down a permanent job this year.

Thoughts?

hebronharvest is offline   Reply With Quote

ChemTeachBHS

Old 07-19-2020, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Itís very possible. Speaking from my own experience (14 years exp, MA+30) I had a hard time finding a new position for September when I was laid off due to Covid. One district wrote me an email that stated that I wasnít selected for an interview because I was overqualified. I made it to round 2 at another school but a new teacher got the position. My best guess is I was too expensive to hire.

In my school finance class I had a professor that was also the superintendent of a school district. He told us that the best person doesnít always get the job- the person the district can afford does. He also advised against wearing wedding rings because if money is an issue with the district you may lose out on the job because insurance rates are higher for family coverage.
ChemTeachBHS is offline   Reply With Quote

hebronharvest

Old 07-20-2020, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the info but how do you know those were the results and who got hired?

The virus, too, is likely how I lost my job.

GoodEnough85

Proof will be hard to come by...
Old 07-21-2020, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am not sure that anyone will tell you outright that is the real reason you might be passed over.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that this is the case. Some states, where a Masters is required within so many years, should be more open to hiring you as you already meet those requirements. In the states where you do not need the further qualifications, it may make it harder to be hired on.

It shouldn't be the case but they can get 3 Bachelor candidates for the same price as 2 Masters level candidates. Right now, especially, more bodies may trump more knowledge/education.

There are also anecdotal claims that some Admin like new teachers to be younger and fresh out of college as they are seen as more moldable and easily led than older, wiser candidates. Supposedly. Who knows for sure??
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

hebronharvest

Old 08-10-2020, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well, my state does require a Masters but I STILL think this might be an issue. The truth is there is nothing I feel I can do better to increase my chances. Doing so I would lose who I am. Im also not getting great feedback back.

Schools seem to want me for lower positions and appreciate me but when it comes to a regular everyday job, they pass me up.

I have been getting interviews, but thats the farthest I can get and no sxhool gives second interviews in a rehiring stage.