Help

Special Education

Sharing Classroom with Aides?

>

teacher0729

Sharing Classroom with Aides?
Old 08-10-2020, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year was the first year I shared a classroom with a special education aide. Prior to last year, they had their own space which was taken over. As kind, welcoming, open-minded, and flexible as I was, this was NOT a good experience. The aide constantly talked drama, had a poor attitude from personal issues many days that wasn't uplifting to work around, used the classroom phone to call her lawyers/ doctors/ insurance/ realtors on almost a daily basis while I was teaching or during my prep while I was working, her children who also attend the school visited often before school and during lunch and talked at normal voice volume even while it was clear I was working, and then there was one occasion that she raised her voice and questioned how I handled a situation in front of the student. I never reported anything except when she questioned me in front of a student because I didn't want to start drama. I'm an easy going, flexible person

I didn't like sharing a space with her but with COVID, I really don't want more people in my room than need to be. Our desks are less than 3 feet apart and she is never with students in my room- she is only inclusion. Do you think I have the right to ask her to be removed from my room with COVID concerns? She could have a desk in one of the hallways or workrooms near the classrooms she is in?

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Hallway
Old 08-10-2020, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do not think she should have to be in a hallway. Is there room in the workrooms? She and everyone else will have more exposure if all the aids are put wherever. Could you move her desk away from you? I think you need to have a conversation about expectations.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-10-2020, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can understand the challenge of having her in your room. It sounds like she is not very respectful of your needs. However, I agree that the hallway is not the place for her, and the workroom is a workspace for staff (I assume) which means she would be constantly interrupted (and if it's anything like workspaces I am used to, other staff would be annoyed at her taking up room in that space).

I'm not sure if there is another classroom in which she could be placed? You definitely should separate your desks if she does stay in your room. I think you could express your concerns to office staff to see if there is anywhere else she might be placed that offers her privacy as well as you. But I also think you need to be prepared for the idea that she might remain right where she is.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote