Has anyone used Number Worlds in a small group setting? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Has anyone used Number Worlds in a small group setting?

>

Haley23

Has anyone used Number Worlds in a small group setting?
Old 09-20-2020, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have access to this program via a tutoring grant we have. It's available to us to use during the regular school day as well, but not required. I looked into it a little bit and decided I might want to use that this year just because it seemed like it was all digital. We're in person, but we've been told to expect going in and out of remote learning all year, and there have been quarantines already in other buildings.

So last week I tried to start planning some lessons with it and I'm honestly pretty confused. First of all, it was marketed to us as an "intervention program" but the lessons don't appear to be written for small groups? The one I was looking at wanted me to give something to "the first ten kids" and then move on to "the next ten kids." Umm, I have 3 kids total in the lesson. Second of all, the "activity cards" are supposed to be 30 minute lessons and I'm not seeing anything that takes longer than 5 minutes, at least in the lessons I looked at. What am I missing?

Third of all, although there are many digital resources the in person lessons would be impossible to implement with covid restrictions. Everything is partners/shared supplies/everyone touching everyone else's stuff. I see they've included digital manipulatives, but it would be quite a lot of work to figure out how to use those and do anything close to the original recommended activity.

After looking at it I'm tempted to stick with what I had (Bridges Intervention). At least I'm super familiar with it, so it may be easier to adapt lessons to covid restrictions (rather than learning a new thing and trying to adapt it at the same time), and it's aligned with our gen ed curriculum.

Thoughts? Does anyone love it and want to change my mind? Just trying to figure out if it's worth putting in the time to really figure it out/if putting time up front would save me when we go to remote learning or if it's really not worth it with all of the other new things this year.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote