Special Education

Exemptions to the rules

>

FancyNancy20

FancyNancy20

Exemptions to the rules
Old 09-22-2020, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach Special Education and I enjoy my job and my students. I don't enjoy or appreciate when administrators don't hold my kids to the same rules as all the other students. Today I was told it is equity not equality. Even in a pandemic my students are allowed to attend school everyday even though we are on a hybrid schedule. I understand the extra burden that comes having a child with a disability. We aren't doing anyone any favors when we don't expect parents to be responsible for their children. Age 22 comes way too fast and then there won't be anymore "babysitters."

whatever

$$$$$
Old 09-22-2020, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is about the money, Honey!! Not that you didn't know that. They will claim the equity thing, the IEP minutes are Federal law, "they need a routine" and all sorts of excuses. Bottom line is that when they report the data for funding, serving all the SpEd kids all of their minutes all the time looks really good.

Funding is being cut across the board in most schools. Schools are making choices based on the money, rather than best practices. You and I both know that a lot of the time SpEd gets a different rule book--some times we get the short end of the stick, sometimes not...
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote