Help

Special Education

Help! IEP

>

Teech1234

Help! IEP
Old 09-19-2020, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone...I'm a newer teacher and I'm in need of realistic help and guidance with students in my classroom. I'd like to know how you all have dealt with students at different levels in your classrooms.

When I taught younger grades, I made "centres" that the students could "play" but with covid, no one can share/touch anything. I'd usually pull small groups or 1 on 1 to help struggling students.

I am now teaching grade 6 and am busy learning the curriculum, finding resources and creating everything so that my students have work to do each day. I am not an English teacher either, I teach at a second language school. All subjects are in a different language, not English.

This year I have 2 students who are working at a grade 1 and 2 level. They stay in the classroom with me the entire day. (I'm basically a split class, grades 1, 2, 6)

I'm not sure how to teacher them as well as teach the other 25 students grade 6 at the same time. I'm looking for some realistic help and ideas on how to juggle it all.

During math/language....
-How do I teach 3 different lessons? How do I divide my time? (grade 6, grade 1, grade 2)
-How do I take up work with 3 different groups of students?
-How do I assign 3 different sets of work each day?
-How do I make up 3 different tests/quiz for each group?
-How do I teach writing 3 different ways?
-How do I read with each student? (There are no small groups or 1 to 1 due to covid)
How do I manage my time in the classroom?

How do I work with these weaker students in a way that isn't embarrassing to them? They sit with their peers in class (no groups this year, all desks are separate from each other) and I'm supposed to stay 6 feet away while teaching. While the grade 6 students work, am I to read Dr. Seuss to the grade 1 student? Have the grade 1 student read out loud to me in front of the entire class? I feel like if I were that student, I'd hate to have to do that in front of my peers (Not joking about the Dr. Seuss)

I'm at a loss and am thinking of printing a ton of math and language worksheets/papers for the weaker students to fill time while I teach the rest of the class?

Again, I'm looking for realistic ideas and how you all deal with this.

I'd really like to know what a timetable looks like for something like this. What does a typical day look like?

I've been searching online for guides and help but find nothing on how to balance this type of class. I'm also worried that if I talk to others, they'll suggest the impossible and say they do way more than they actually do, and it will make me feel even more overwhelmed. Please tell me the real deal!

Thank you in advance for the help, ideas, suggestions!
I really appreciate your help!

Teech1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sped 1

Sped 1

Question
Old 09-22-2020, 11:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is the technology situation at your school? If you have access to technology I would create individualized assignments for students on a learning platform like Seesaw. There are also many different online reading/ math programs that students can work through at their own pace. Lexia/IXL. Check to see if your school had access to any of these. You can still do rotations with some modifuctions. You could assign each student a bag of materials that they would work through each week during their independent work time. I found these large pouches on Lakeshore that work pretty well.

Teech1234

Old 09-23-2020, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the reply. I was getting scared because no one was saying anything!

We don't have technology this year since no one can share/touch shared items. We have Lexia but the students are encouraged to do it at home.

We aren't allowed to use Seasaw, but before it was banned, I used it and loved it!

I'm really needing help with the time management, and how to plan so that those lower range students have work to do, and also how to set up a 100 minute block of time to work with the older students but also have time to work with the lower range ones.

Thank you for the suggestions!!
Teech1234 is offline   Reply With Quote