Online learning help for students who DON'T have modifications - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Online learning help for students who DON'T have modifications

>

Haley23

Online learning help for students who DON'T have modifications
Old 11-06-2020, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, we're now in remote learning (transitioned this week after being in person, except for quarantines, all year). Like in many other places, the district expectations are now a ton of synchronous instruction with asynchronous "work time" built in.

Unsurprisingly, many of my students with IEPs are having a super hard time and I'm starting to get complaints from teachers. In person, our services are all pull out. For remote this year, I'm doing all direct zoom services, and I think the service times are actually going really well. So I don't want to make changes to that or somehow switch to "supporting" the classroom, especially since that's not what the services look like in any scenario and my kids desperately need the direct instruction at their level. I'm in 1st-2nd and they're all with me because they can't read in the first place even after TONS of intervention.

I think the amount of work is just way overwhelming for my kids, and for many of them, it's way, way above their level. Our parents have actually done a way better job than I expected of getting kids on zoom at the right time, but most aren't in a position to provide schoolwork help, for a variety of reasons. On the one hand I feel like a lot of it is just a waste of time for my kids and the teachers are obsessing over them not completing things that truthfully the kids just don't have the skills to complete. On the other hand, we're not allowed to put modifications on IEPs, so I don't feel like I can say they don't have to do it, or they can do this alternate activity instead, or they only have to do half of it, etc.

We do have a sped para available, and he's awesome, but it's one person for a K-6 school...

Any suggestions? Things that work for your kids? I feel like teachers are looking to me for answers that I just don't have.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Modifications?
Old 11-06-2020, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry more questions than answers, but maybe I can help.

So when you say no modifications you mean they don't even get accommodations and get things like extra time, read allowable parts, change in background and text size? Can they dictate instead of type?

Are the gen ed teachers running small groups? Are all their students doing the same thing? Maybe they need help with ideas for small group work for your students?

I don't know your grading policy, but are they grading using formative or summative assessments or both?
readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-06-2020, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They can get accommodations, but accommodations don't really help that much if the work is ions above your level. For example, changing the background text or size doesn't make any difference if you can't read 95% of the words regardless.

One of the grade levels is doing small groups and the other isn't, but even for the one that is, that's like 40 minutes out of the day and then they have all of their whole group and asynchronous times.

We have done strict standards-based grading for years. They get a 1-4 rating based totally on mastery of each specific standard. Effort, work completion, or progress doesn't really enter into it. Our standards are very specific, and it's very black and white can they do this or not.

I talked to one teacher today who wants to at least cut down the number of questions she's assigning to one of my students. I figured that would be okay, because it's independent work time- whose to say that's all she was able to finish in that time anyway? Some teachers have talked about wanting to give a totally different assignment, which in practicality would be really helpful, but I worry about legal issues since we're not supposed to be modifying their curriculum.

readandweep

Assignments
Old 11-07-2020, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

But if the different assignments covered the same standards, wouldn't that be OK?

Granted all of my curriculum is modified (we don't even use common core), but everyone is exposed to the same standard and subject matter.

The assignments are at least different three different levels of expected work product based on how the student can answer (written words, word choice without picture, word choice with picture, picture only, errorless answering).

For example this standard
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.1.3
Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, using key details.

Level 3 Reads the story independently and types the answer into a SeeSaw assignment.

Level 2 Reads the story with the option of having the story reread to them via the iPad or Epic or a recording in SeeSaw. The student fill out a cloze activity in SeeSaw by dragging the words or pictures from a bank.

Level 1 Has the story and read questions to them and circles the words or pictures in a field of 3 or 4 to answer the questions in SeeSaw.

SeeSaw is a platform I am familiar with, but I am sure Google Classroom and other tech also have these options.

Last edited by readandweep; 11-07-2020 at 04:50 AM..
readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-08-2020, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Those are good ideas, thanks. I'm not sure if we'd be able to do something like that or not. I very frequently hear something like, "But they have to take the regular state test at the end of the year, and it won't look like that." Even though my kids aren't passing the state test, nor does someone who scored below the 12th percentile on the woodcock johnson have a snowball's chance in hell of turning around and passing a rigorous state test. But you're a bad teacher if you say kids aren't going to pass because they have a disability...

caseycat

My concern is
Old 11-12-2020, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

a possible violation of FAPE for these students. Free and APPROPRIATE public education. Grade level testing for a student in the 12% is not appropriate. I don't understand how these students are not able to get modifications. If they are that low functioning in my state then they get an alternate state assessment. Good luck.
caseycat is offline   Reply With Quote