Help

Special Education

LRE during remote learning

>

Haley23

LRE during remote learning
Old 11-12-2020, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, somehow it ended up in MTSS meetings that the plan for a couple of EL/interrupted formal education students is for them to spend like 3+ hours a day with the EL teachers working on foundational and language skills, rather than doing their gen ed stuff, because the classroom zooms are way over their heads. The EL schedule was super light to begin with and they have time to do this.

Big can of worms for me because it took the most annoying gen ed teacher about 15 minutes to figure out, "Hey, this is way too high for my sped kids too, why can't they do something like that?" Teacher sends me an obnoxious email clearly angling for the same type of deal.

First of all, I don't have that kind of time even if I wanted to, and second of all, I will hold firm to doing the time that is on IEPs. But I wouldn't put it past this teacher to find pushovers in the building (paras, interventionists, heck, even the EL teachers) who may be willing to take my students into extra groups during the day.

She announced in the middle of the MTSS meeting that she had 3 kids who "needed" a different reading block, and who is available at x time to teach these 3 kids phonics for 30 minutes while she teaches ELA? Yes, they are already getting direct phonics instruction with me. In fact, remotely it's 1:1.

Just theoretically, if there were people available and willing to do this, do you think this impacts LRE? What if whoever is doing the intervention is not sped staff, does that change things? Sometimes, I put my kids with an intervention teacher during our schoolwide intervention block (in person), and then I do their services at another time, but that's a bit different because the intervention block is what gen ed is doing at that time. There isn't core instruction going on that anyone is missing.

I'm going to bring this up with my team because I think it's going to be an issue. But I am interested to hear thoughts. Would you push back on something like this happening, or say, "Eh, it's pandemic schooling and if that's what the kids need then we'll do it?" FWIW, none of our parents would ever know to/think about complaining about their kid not getting LRE, if this were to happen.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Minutes
Old 11-13-2020, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am kind of all over the place on this one.

So these times would be in addition to time in regular ed or in place of?

In place of would never fly here. You face trouble from the state if you have too many kids not with their regular-ed peers for 70 percent of the school day.

You would also run into the question why are they not successful with supports in the gen ed setting?

From an MTSS standpoint would you be unable to get a student needed services if they were making progress with extra intervention that you were unable to offer during normal times?
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-13-2020, 10:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This would be in place of gen ed for those two students. As far as MTSS as it related to potentially getting a referral/IEP, neither of those two specific students are a candidate for a referral. One of them attended our school previously, ended the year on grade level, and then long story short, missed an entire year of school, so that's definitely not a disability. The other student arrived at our school last year as a 3rd grader having never attended school of any kind before.

In both cases, on a practical level it makes sense that this would actually benefit them more than just sitting in a gen ed class. But now the teachers are wanting that for kids that already have IEPs and I just don't think that will fly. Our least restrictive placement/the one all of my kids are in is actually at least 80% gen ed. I don't think anyone wants to actually change IEPs- they just want this done for these kids. And I'm not sure if hypothetically, they just got some random gen ed para or some sort of gen ed support person to do it, if it would count against LRE or not.

I know in our e-learning school, a frequent practice is to have paras or sometimes even sped staff go into the gen ed zooms, and then the teacher puts some of the students in a breakout room with that person and they are considering this like a "push in" service and not a pull out/time away from gen ed. I'm not sure how often/for how many minutes this is happening for though.

readandweep

Groups
Old 11-14-2020, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you have to replicate the school day during remote since you guys are in person sometimes too?

We are all remote and lower elementary teachers in my district are doing a reading lesson then small groups and math lesson then small groups.

Are there small group times when any push in services could schedule kids for services? That way they are not missing out on the gen ed lesson.

How are related services meeting with kids?

Haley23

Old 11-14-2020, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Only K and 1 are doing small groups at the moment, as far as I know. That's a good idea though. I think the teacher would still complain because it's the synchronous/zoom time that she thinks is not working.

For regular services we were allowed to cut the time in half if we work with the kids 1:1. We had to write remote service plans explaining this. That worked out really well for related services who have very few IEP minutes to begin with- for most of their kids, they now only have to meet with them for one 15 minute session per week. I decided to do that option for my services, and other than technology issues (which would be there regardless of how the services were done), I think it's gone really well. Obviously my kids have a lot more minutes so I have to do 1-2 sessions per day with each kid. We've mostly scheduled during asynchronous times. For a few of my kids I see them during the "word work" zoom because that's what I normally pull them out of for in person school, and we're doing the same structure, just on their level. Even if I said, okay, I'll go back to doing groups so they can get the full time (and I won't- the 1:1 zooms are so much more effective), that would still be 30-45 minutes per day depending on the kid. Not 3+ hours like these EL kids are getting.

That's the other fun piece- they made this elaborate plan for remote, but who knows when we'll go back in person. And then it won't work because they're crossing a bunch of cohorts. Who knows when that will happen. Numbers are so, so bad here now. But there is also a lot of talk of schools being able to open because they're "essential" or talk of younger elementary going back, which is my grade levels. I suspect we're remote through the holidays and then they "reevaluate" for Jan.

readandweep

Remote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have been remote since the start of school.

Three weeks ago self-contained special ed classes with students and teachers who chose hybrid went back hybrid.

As of yesterday they will transition back to remote.

Our area in general is very close to having to stay at home orders.

Many other area districts that had been fully in person are now back to remote only

GoodEnough85

Nope--wouldn't fly here
Old 11-18-2020, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In our district, we returned to school F2F on time in August. We have a lot of structures in place in order to limit exposure and such.

One effort was to put the MS/HS kids in cohorts. At first, they put all the SpEd students in cohorts with SpEd teachers (6-8th mixed groups and 9-12th mixed groups.

On the one hand, it seems like a good plan as those students would get special supports from a SpEd teacher all day long. It wasn't long until one MS SpEd teacher had 17 kids--bigger than some gen ed cohorts. No para.

Finally, someone AT SCHOOL, not a parent, realized that put those students in SpEd 100% of the time. Ding-ding--not legal. No LRE--No GenEd time, teachers or peers.

Maybe if this gal finds someone other than SpEd, she might get away with it. But we are specifically watching for these types of situations.

I would try that excuse first--even if parents didn't know or wouldn't complain is no reason to break the rules.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote