Special Education

Runner

>

Willey's mom

Willey's mom

Runner
Old 11-09-2020, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who becomes frustrated very easily. He has started to leave the class, without permission, and run to random corners of the building. His classification is Intellectual Disability and is also on the spectrum. He tends to get upset when asked to do academic work or doesn't get his way. He is draining my patience. Any advice?

metap

Runner
Old 11-27-2020, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would first let him get used to my classroom. I would set up a table with fun things to do like play dough etc. Then eventually I would play some of the games with him. Next I would play a learning game extols a ball and I would ask what is youíre favorite food etc. Eventually, I would incorporate leaning activities in a fun way. Then eventually as he matures throughout the year you can use the game time as reward time after he completes non preferred tasks. If he doesnít like games you might try a pet in the classroom. Everything must be done gradually, donít force it. You can even have story time where he can listen to a fun book online-Epic books itís free and has lots of fun books.
metap is offline   Reply With Quote