Worked A Few Months, Unemployed For A Week, Then Back Again - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Worked A Few Months, Unemployed For A Week, Then Back Again

>

NJSubteacher

Worked A Few Months, Unemployed For A Week, Then Back Again
Old 12-06-2020, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This school year has been like a roller coaster for me. I was lucky to get full time sub work from Sept until Thanksgiving. My district decided to go all remote last week, now I am scheduled to return again tomorrow. (I was unemployed for just a week). However, there is talk of them closing again for another 2-3 weeks after Christmas.

Not sure what to do with unemployment. I stopped claiming back in Sept, but it gives me the option to reopen my claim. However, it gets tricky because it asks "are you currently working"? I say to myself, Well I am now, wasnt last week, may not work in another week or two from now. Therefore, I cannot honestly collect unemployment again for just select weeks. I guess it would only be worth reopening a claim if school closes for a good 3-4 weeks at minimum?

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Not designed for people who work as subs...
Old 12-07-2020, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This unemployment insurance system is not designed for substitute teachers, who are not guaranteed to work everyday.

Whether to reopen the claim or not...You will have to try to predict what the Covid situation would be like in New Jersey in the next several weeks...That is very hard to do. But, you have to make that prediction...

It is a debate about what's guaranteed vs. what's not guaranteed...The school district has no obligation to guarantee you any substitute work...

Good luck to you...
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 12-07-2020, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks. This past decision to close schools was more about concerns of people traveling for Thanksgiving, therefore they wanted to wait a good 10 days after the holiday to safely reopen schools.

It is very hard to predict what schools will do. But, it seems pointless to reopen an unemployment claim for just one week, especially since I am back subbing today. I decided IF schools close for more than 2-3 weeks, then I will surely reopen my claim.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote