Help

BusyBoard

Locking text boxes in G.Slides?

>

Risa

Locking text boxes in G.Slides?
Old 12-08-2020, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been making Seesaw teaching activities for a friend who teaches first grade. Now I'm working on making teaching activities for another teacher friend (2nd grade) whose district doesn't offer Seesaw. As I try to make similar activities in Google Slides, I'm finding huge differences in what can and can't be done similarly.

Regarding Google Slides-Is there a way to lock a text box (or image) in place? The activity I'm working on will require students (or teacher) to drag a shape over a text box, but when I try it, the text box can easily get selected and moved unintentionally.

(I've already made the background slide -with the title and directions- and turned it into a PNG so all those parts are now part of the background image. The text boxes and the shape I'm using need to be in layers so that the effect works.)

So... any suggestions for locking a text layer in place?
And while I'm at it, is there a way for students to 'write or draw' onto G. Slides?

Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Google Slides
Old 12-08-2020, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish I could tell you off the top of my head..but its been one of those days!

I am sending you a link - look at #6.
When I first figured out how to do anything related to Google Slides, I used You Tube.

Darn, the link is not attaching. It is from Ditch That Textbook which is a great site.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-08-2020, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Slide master!! Don't bother with turning it into a background image.
Create the slide exactly as you want it, make it a slide master, apply it as a layout to a blank slide, add shapes that are draggable.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Thanks Sleddog and Gromit!
Old 12-08-2020, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sleddog, YouTube has been very helpful in leading me through both Seesaw and Google Slides. Sometimes, though, it's hard to get an answer to a specific question. Very time intensive. I'll look up the site you recommended. Thanks!

Gromit, I just learned about Slide Master in a YouTube video sometime last week. I understand it works similarly to creating a separate PNG file. My situation is that I need several layers beyond just the slide master and the draggable shapes. I'm using shapes and text that overlap on the PNG file or what would be equivalent to the Slide Master. As least I realized the shapes I need can be moved with the arrows to avoid selecting other text boxes. Bit by bit, I'm learning what works and what doesn't through trial and error.

Thanks to you both taking time to leave your suggestions!
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 12-08-2020, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i don't know anything about layers---i just recently learned the PNG lock for background myself.

to give kids a place to write answers, i insert a shape (usually the rounded rectangle), then color it a fun but light color. then i double click inside and change the font style to a nice legible one and set the size to a bigger, easy-to-see size--so when they click in it to start typing, they don't need to make any adjustments.

tia is offline   Reply With Quote