Help

BusyBoard

Spire reading program

>

GreyhoundGirl

Spire reading program
Old 12-12-2020, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My new district uses Spire reading program. Iím not familiar with it and neither is anyone Iíve asked about it. Is anyone here familiar with it? Pros? Cons?

I figure it has to be better than Reading Mastery which Iím (supposed to be) using this year. I hate it with a passion.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 12-12-2020, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's an Orton Gillingham based program so it is very explicit and sequential. I have some of their materials and use it to supplement when I teach kids with dyslexia although it is designed to stand alone. Will you get training?
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-12-2020, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, I will get training.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-12-2020, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have it at my school. We have many resources to pull from so I don't use it exclusively. If you're familiar with OG the routines will be familiar to you.

I'm not sure what ages you'll be teaching; I don't love it for my youngest kids who are complete non-readers. As in, don't understand the concept of how to blend sounds together to read a CVC word. I found it to work best for my kids who had mastered some of the very basic skills and needed explicit phonics instruction to keep learning more phonics patterns.

The decodable texts are better than other phonics programs we have and it does a decent job of continuously reviewing previously learned skills. I also liked the explicit writing piece and tend to use that even for groups who I'm not doing the rest of spire with.

It also doesn't explicitly teach consonant blends, which was different than our other phonics resources. I think because they are not a "new sound." It just starts throwing beginning and ending blends in there pretty early in the program. That's worked for some of my kids and not for others. Some of my kids are so weak in PA that blends are one of their biggest struggles. Those kids also tend to need more PA work than the 1-2 minute warmups spire provides.

The other thing that's different from our other programs is that the order of patterns introduced is based on what's most common, and not necessarily what's easiest to teach/learn. For example, one of the very first vowel teams taught is "ea" which is challenging because "ea" makes a bunch of different sounds. While much easier "oa" that makes the same sound every time comes later in the program.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

yes
Old 12-13-2020, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been trained in Spire. I'm in my 2nd year using it. My groups are very small. I have 2 in my spire 1 group and 2 in my Spire 2 group. (should be 3-5 in each group but due to covid we are not allowed to mix classes)
If children do not know their sounds they should begin with the Pre Spire program which is Sound Sensible.
I love it and have seen growth.

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote