So teacher was quarantined as well as two students in the class - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

So teacher was quarantined as well as two students in the class

>

Ohana

So teacher was quarantined as well as two students in the class
Old 12-14-2020, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Should I be concerned at all that the office never told me????

Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I think...
Old 12-14-2020, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Personally, I think that is serious negligence on their part.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Two choices
Old 12-14-2020, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1.) Don't accept jobs without full details

or

2.) Don't sub.

It's inexcusable for schools not to do full disclosure. However, their position they need subs to cover and there are few available. Rock and hard place: if you complain or bring to attention of the district they could block you 'unofficially' or take you off their list.

Weird world right now.
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

Old 12-15-2020, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

All the districts I work in have in their directions to subs that we should not be within 6 feet of anyone else for more than 15 minutes. Which would mean then that they don't have to tell you if anyone is positive because you are never in what is defined as "close contact".

So then it puts the onus on you to tell them if you were in close contact with these people, and probably explain why.

The majority of my days involve teachers and students who are quarantining, so I am always aware, and always careful. I've been avoiding the younger grades and special ed because it's harder to stay distanced.

But now I have no sense of smell or taste and I'm going in for testing today. Pretty sure I'll be off school until 2021. So I guess my strategy didn't work!
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 12-15-2020, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I understand your concern, Ohana. Subbing now must often feel unsafe.

I know that students are not told if a fellow classmate is missing due to COVID or quarantining until receiving test results. It seems to be a HIPAA requirement to not reveal the names of students and staff exposed to COVID or COVID positive.

I'm really sorry that your health needs haven't been respected. It must feel disheartening and scary.

Last edited by Renea; 12-15-2020 at 06:37 PM..
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-15-2020, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That happened to me and I wasn't happy about it.

If the teacher is teaching online, and you are in their class, the only explanation is that the teacher is quarantined, probably along with at least one of his classes.

They probably don't want to tell us because they wou6lose the few subs they do have, but I think we should be told, too. Again, it's pretty obvious, though.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-15-2020, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Should I be concerned at all that the office never told me????
I would not be concerned.

Contact tracers just tell you that you were exposed to someone who has tested positive. They are not permitted to tell you who the person is. That's a HIPPA violation.

If you are subbing for the person, then you have not come into contact with that person. Everyone is masked, and the rooms are cleaned and disinfected multiple times per day, so chances of you subbing the following day and encountering enough virus on a surface to make you ill is very, very small.

Also, not everyone who is absent is quarantined due to COVID infection. Some are quarantined due to exposure to someone ill, such as a family member, and are not ill at all. Some are out for other reasons, too. I'm currently out to care for my mom. I haven't set foot in my classroom since the first week of August.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I agree with the PP
Old 12-15-2020, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Even, we regular staff are not told specifics. The custodial staff barely knows now. We are told to assume everyone we encounter may be positive.

We started "Supposing" and assuming when heard 2 weeks off, so they will now say a different number of days and then just keeping changing/adding days so that we aren't supposed to figure it out.

"She'll be back on Monday" may mean Monday or next Monday or on that Monday, we will hear a new return date...

It is a whole new ballgame now.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-15-2020, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I guess they really think we're that stupid, huh?

When they called me, I simply asked if it was a quarantine thing, and she said yes, but the school trusts me.

Even the students know what is going on. It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

I'm sure they'll be someone here that gives an anecdotal response that differs (there always is), but we (and the students) really aren't that stupid.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote