Sped case manager- what is my responsibility here? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Sped case manager- what is my responsibility here?

>

Haley23

Sped case manager- what is my responsibility here?
Old 12-18-2020, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, due to our cohorting rules this year I am case managing the entire school, but only directly working with 2 grade levels. I'm used to being case manager and service provider for all of my students. I sent out IEP progress reports today.

A parent of an older student replied to my progress report email; an interventionist does her actual services and I've never worked with the child as she moved in after my grade levels. We were in person, but are currently remote. Theoretically, after winter break we have only 2 days remote and then we go back in person.

The parent is complaining that she doesn't like her daughter being taught math by two different people; she thinks she's confused and she doesn't want her to attend the gen ed math class (meaning she'd only attend her IEP math group, which is a resource minute type group, not a replacement curriculum group).

I'm sure the parent is actually spot on, but I assume that just like in person, we have to provide the child with both gen ed and sped instruction. I know my P has made little "deals" with other families where they are allowed to skip some parts just to get them to do something. Pretty sure we're not supposed to be telling people they don't have to go to gen ed instruction, but she's the boss.

The way I see it, here are my options:

a) Respond with some sort of "I hear you" comment and say that we'll see what things look like after the break. If we stay on schedule, there will only be 2 more remote days anyway.

b) Respond with some sort of "I hear you" comment and just say legally, we're required to provide the student with grade level/general education instruction, but I'll let the classroom teacher and service provider know about her concerns.

c) Ask the parent if she wants me to set up a meeting with the interventionist doing the services and the classroom teacher to see if there are other accommodations or strategies to help her be more successful in both settings (this is tricky- because as I've posted before, we don't allow modifications, but we could talk about "scaffolds" and accommodations).

d) Ask my admin what she thinks about this child potentially only attending her IEP group for math. I'm hearing from the interventionist that her participation is minimal anyway.

Of course this all depends on the idea that the parent would quit complaining about it if went back in person. Based on my experiences with her so far, I assume that's what would happen. If she doesn't want her child in a gen ed class at all in person, that's obviously a whole other can of worms, but I know the steps I'd take to deal with that at least.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 12-19-2020, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would be responding with your B option, if it were me.
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

whatever

Me too
Old 12-19-2020, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would respond with B and possibly offer to consider C at some later date. Ask her to consider waiting until (xxx date--so many days back F2F,) and you will look into it if she still feels that way but give the F2F a chance.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 12-19-2020, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would do B and make sure your admin is in the loop
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-19-2020, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you! I'll do that and also point it out in our weekly team meeting when we get back, just in case the parent says something else. The interventionist and my P will be in the team meeting. I know the separate case manager thing is common elsewhere, but it's typically not done here. So it's a really foreign concept to me to be "managing" cases where I have absolutely nothing to do with the actual services.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote