Help

Substitute Teachers

Schedule After Christmas Break?

>

bodhimom

Schedule After Christmas Break?
Old 12-15-2020, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been thinking about what the schedule at my school will be when we return from Christmas break.

My school had gone hybrid a few weeks ago, after being 100% online, from the beginning of the school year. I didn't work until hybrid, and, as far as my actual work, besides boring to all get-out, it was pure joy - even felt a tad guilty (but I know the tide will turn at some point, and I'll earn every penny, again ).

Then Covid exploded, again, and my school, and most others in the area, went back to 100% online.

What is strange, to me, is that many other districts, in the area, are saying (in the news) that they are going back to all students in class, all 5 days, after the Christmas break (including my school).

How does that make any sense?

They went back to 100% online because of how bad covid was (a week before 2-week break, a week early) but in just 3 weeks they say they plan on opening up, fully, beyond what they were just a few weeks ago?

Obviously, the vaccine won't make a difference that quickly.

My school still says that it is planning on students going to full, in-person, after the break (said via the website). Secretary doesn't see it happening, either, but I hear the same thing on the news, from many districts.

Secretary doesn't even think we'll even go back to hybrid (confidentially), but I hope we do, since I want to see the students in class, at least some, and selfishly, because it can't be easier and I need the money.

What am I missing, here? Schools went from 100% online, then to hybrid. The virus exploded, the schools went back to 100% online, unplanned, a week early,
into the Christmas break. How then can the schools open, 3 weeks later (after break), with students 100% in person, all 5 days? Even better than BEFORE the break? Even better than hybrid?

When I first was told that we were going back to 100% online, I thought that it might be because they didn't want to waste any more money (in their view) on us (the subs), because I've had classes with just 1 student, and never more than 7. Usually 2 or 3.

I now think it was because of the spike in covid, after hearing that explanation in the news from other districts.

Secretary said it could be because many students are non-covid sick, so many not going to school, but I don't really know.

My school has had 3 teachers, and many students, in quarantine. Do you think it is just because they don't want to pay the subs? Am I making this too much about subs? Am I making this too much about me (I have a habit of doing that lol)?

I really hope it isn't because they don't want to pay subs to watch such a small number of students, because it also allows the students, those present at school, to see their teachers, in person, even if just a little. That is awesome.

I would also think that they could use some of their covid money to pay us subs, so it wouldn't come out of their regular budget.

What do you guys think? What have your schools/districts/confidants said, if anything? Have your schools/districts said, for sure, how they will open? Or are they still up in the air, waiting to see what will happen, like my school?

I hate that uneasy, unknown feeling that I have, right now, in not knowing what will happen, for sure. I would almost rather have bad news, that I know for sure, than having to wait it out in the unknown. Patience isn't my strong suit.

Worse, I'm sure, for the students, though.

Sorry for the length. Bless you if you read it through .

bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

No changes
Old 12-15-2020, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My district is planning to come back second semester with the same schedule as this one: 100% in-person for Pre K- 5th, and 50/50 hybrid for 6-12. All grades have an option for fully on-line learning, and about 10% of families did that. I do mostly middle school and I agree subbing has been a cinch this year. Most classes are 8-12 students... Fewer when they are out for quarantine- a few sports teams have been wiped out at once until their two weeks is done. Several teachers have also had to quarantine or isolate. So far, I have not known of one actual sick person at my building, and none of the positive cases were traced back to their school attendance.

I don't think the idea of going remote to save on sub salaries is even a blip on the radar in the decision making process. I know my district is very committed to the idea of remaining open, so I don't anticipate changes unless our circumstances change drastically.

Many kids are benefitting by this system-- even though they don't attend every day, the class days are very productive and teachers can easily identify and intervene when someone is struggling. My school's in- AND out-of-school suspensions have been a grand total of seven this year.

It will be interesting to see what things change permanently after Covid. I think some changes (not just in schools) are here to stay.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-15-2020, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe being forced to try different things, that wouldn't have been tried before covid, will be of benefit. Maybe we learned some things from this that will benefit students or parents in the future. I'm sure we all hope that something positive can come out of this year.

Last edited by bodhimom; 12-15-2020 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Thought of something else to add lol

Ima Teacher

Old 12-15-2020, 10:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our plan is K-5 going back four days a week in person with 6-12 remaining hybrid.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 12-16-2020, 12:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We're staying Distant Learning and moving from meeting 3 days to meeting all 5 days of the wk come January - March. I don't think we'll be returning at all this skl yr though. This is the 3rd time our plans for returning (hybrid) have been pushed back.
Our district started a Virtual Academy where students meet w a teacher only once a wk. I hear positive things about it.

Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-16-2020, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sweet - at least they're trying to get creative.

Sweetsunset

Old 12-16-2020, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes bodhimom, I agree. Reaching as many students as possible
Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

LA County schools.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Interesting story about your district...

Los Angeles County is the biggest county in CA...I live in LA County.

I am really doubtful that any district in this county will do 100% in person instruction any time soon...
I just don't see that happening...

One LA County Supervisor told one district official that she does not expect in person instruction until Fall of 2021...I would not be surprised if that really happens...
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Clouded Crystal Balls
Old 12-18-2020, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I hate that uneasy, unknown feeling that I have, right now, in not knowing what will happen, for sure. I would almost rather have bad news, that I know for sure, than having to wait it out in the unknown.
One of the underestimated impacts of the current situation is the toll uncertainty is taking on everyone. Anyone (and I include the so-called "experts") who claims to know what's going to happen tomorrow, let alone two weeks from now, is, frankly, deluding themselves. We are a long way from getting our arms around this with any real degree of certainty. "The one thing you can be sure of is that you can't be sure of anything."

I've found it interesting to watch how differently districts are reacting. One district I admire is clearly reacting based on the desire to maintain as high a level of in-person learning as possible and managing risks. They do an excellent job of communicating with the parents and community.

Some districts are far more reactive and their desire is to minimize risk at all costs. If a kid sneezes, they switch to remote. (That's only a slight exaggeration.)

And, quite frankly, subs, teachers, and parents are acting similarly. Since this isn't (in my opinion) going away any time soon, it's a good time to figure out your priorities and values. They don't have to be uncertain but they should be driving your decisions. Too many people are basing their decisions on fear and anger. Others seem to enjoy waiting for someone else to make the decision for them.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-18-2020, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you Maine sub. You hit the nail on the head. I signed up at indeed.com and I'm hoping to get some kind of job where I can use my degree. There was a job for a tutor for an AP class that I might apply for. It is online, but maybe I won't feel like I'm wasting my degree, like I feel now.

NJSubteacher

Old 12-21-2020, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My main district is going fully remote for one week after break, so I will be off for about 2.5 weeks after this Wed. (May try and grab some jobs in another district though). Then, my main district plans on resuming the same hybrid half day schedule for the remainder of the school year.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote