Help

Substitute Teachers

Subbing is a joke right now.

>

subasaurus

Subbing is a joke right now.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know remote learning is certainly no picnic for full time teachers, but it's getting to the point where the job is so aimless, monotonous, and repetitive I'm having a hard time staying awake. And it doesn't help that my medication gives me drowsy side effects.

Watching these burnt out students stare at a laptop for 7 hours a day is about as interactive as watching paint dry.

Make no mistake: Subbing is NOT teaching during the pandemic. It's babysitting.

I feel for this generation of youth right now. They really are getting a bad deal.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-19-2020, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Teaching is not teaching during the pandemic either.

It really stinks for all involved.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 12-20-2020, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It really does feel like a joke this year, for more reasons than one. It's clear that everyone's kind of just fumbling around in the dark over covid, with mounting pressure to open up even with all the data showing rising cases and scarier symptoms that we're only beginning to learn about as the info becomes available. But even so, in the total state of darkness, we were still given assurance letters in June about employment that, depending on where you lived, turned out to be either really true or really false. And I'm still being emailed about renewing my credentials in March when they expire, even though I've had like a handful of jobs all year and consider myself unemployed at the moment. And the sub pay rate (where I live, anyway) is still the same despite so many just abandoning the job altogether after we were dumped last year, with no mention of hazard pay or security in case of another total lockdown. There's like no reason for most people to go back into such an unstable field, so you'd think they'd try to entice people with higher pay, or a free credential renewal setup, or the promise of working from home, but nah. nah. nah.

The contrast between the state of things right now, and the way some districts selectively act like some specific things shouldn't change at all despite current realities -- that is what I find to be the largest joke at the center of all of this. I live with older relatives. Even if jobs were popping off right now, I wouldn't jeopardize their health, ever -- especially not to babysit burnouts on Zoom so my callous district can count its attendance and pull in more funding. Like, let's just be real here; that's all this is really about. I must've had three different administrators come over and make sure I knew how to take attendance when I subbed at the beginning of the year. Nobody cared about anything else, lmao. It's a joke, alright. Saddest joke I've heard in a while.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@ima teacher
Old 12-20-2020, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yeah, all involved are suffering immensely. No question.

However, subs are particularly in the dark here. (As we have been with unemployment rights, but that's a whole different beast.)

Telling students "just go on Google classroom and work silently" is what I do for a living now.

They've even given up on having subs go on Google Meet in the districts I work for.

It's not even glorified babysitting anymore. It's just actual robotic babysitting. It's sad.

Should I be submitting my resume to Chuck E. Cheese instead? At least that would be interactive work.

Last edited by subasaurus; 12-20-2020 at 05:55 AM..

subasaurus

@Aillya
Old 12-20-2020, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well summarized, as always.

I'm shocked at how in-denial so many schools are.

And some of the students, as expected, do not take social distancing seriously at all. Makes me feel like some adults aren't taking this situation seriously enough and letting things slide that they shouldn't. Like letting kids get super close to each other.

I've definitely noticed all they care about is attendance too. Which is a MESS because students are changing their status from in-person to remote frequently. Impossible to keep track of who is coming or going.

I know we're in a horribly volatile situation here, but a lot of people seem to be either unorganized, clueless, or unhelpful due to Covid burnout.

Subbing was already messy, dangerous, and confusing enough before this crap. And now it's mindless to boot.

I feel like I'm being paid to watch paint dry all day. Reminds me of the old phrase "We just need a warm body."

Last edited by subasaurus; 12-20-2020 at 05:54 AM..

NJSubteacher

Old 12-20-2020, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, I agree it is a joke right now. However, I have no reason to complain. I am getting paid for a full day's work while only working half days. There are hardly any students in each class, therefore zero behavior problems and I am getting paid unlike many other folks who unfortunately lost their jobs. Yes, it is boring, but it is easy money. I can't complain. I do not miss yelling at the kids all day and dealing with all the drama during a normal school year either.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-20-2020, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with NJ. I'm going to enjoy the money and easy work while I can. I consider my job to be mainly to make sure they keep their masks on in class. I know the ratrace will come back, eventually.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 12-20-2020, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I canít even get a job. Our district lied to us about work. Even before covid, some days were like watching paint dry. How many hs classes are ďwork daysĒ where we are just babysitting? Even movies.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@njsub
Old 12-20-2020, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You're lucky and I am certainly jealous of your situation.

I still get full classes on occasion and plenty of behaviors. Particularly abuse of bathroom use and fooling around in the hallways. The districts I work for all have given up on hallway passes too, so the kids take advantage.

So the negatives still exist with the job, but now also with: Boredom, extra fears of liability, and feelings of uselessness.

subasaurus

@fractured
Old 12-20-2020, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

A rotten deal, no doubt. Sorry to hear that. Not cool.

Yeah, agree hs was rough even before covid.

I sub primarily middle school, which has always required a lot of energy and interaction.

Now I just try to stay awake. It's depressing.

Thinking of leaving subbing until the vaccine is fully distributed.

Might just take the rest of the year off.

Fractured

Old 12-20-2020, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I donít think Iíd be inside considering that the schools donít have hvac systems and what our numbers are here. But, nothing around me has gone back F2F anyway.

The only people who got work were the retired teachers and subs who had a steady network of teachers to give them jobs.

I will try to get a full time job next year(again). I know budgets are tight, but it seems like a lot of people are walking away from teaching after what will be a 1.5 of virtual learning.Iíd just walk away altogether but I have a feeling the economy is still going to be crappy for the next year or more, and work is work.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 12-20-2020, 10:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree that remote "learning" is a joke because none of the students have their cameras on and everyone is muted and quiet.

Attendance is just as good as classroom learning, but that is because most of the students are not even there. With their cameras and mics off, there is no checking on what they are doing. They are probably wandering the house doing something else.

I am guilty of this as well. I get so bored that I often walk around the class with my camera off and check every couple minutes to see if there is a chat posted. If I hear a question spoken aloud, I am only about 5 seconds away so I easily make it back to the computer.

I am therefore participating in the joke of a setup.
Sirsubalot is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

depends on the district, grade levels
Old 12-21-2020, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I've been subbing from home via distance learning (Zoom) since September and have generally had a decent experience. But then I stick to the elementary grades, kinder through 4th, where there's much more interaction.

First off, I really like not having to commute. That's saved me a ton in gas expense and relieved me of the wear and tear of commuting.

As far as teaching, it's been only 3-4 hours in the am. The lesson plan is emailed to me, oftentimes by the teacher, and generally the school admins send me a class roster, Zoom link for the session, Google classroom login, and are there to help if there are issues with the setup.

The lesson plans I see for younger kids include ample teaching activities. The students are required to stay on camera and on mic. Some buck this, of course, but generally most are good about it. The teaching involves all the usual subjects: math, reading, writing, science, etc., and yes, I do get to teach.

Occasionally, I get a "lazy" lesson plan consisting of a Power Point presentation full of links to GoNoodle and such, but that's rare. Most of the time, I use the Zoom whiteboard, my whiteboard on camera, and materials that the teacher has linked in Google Classroom. The morning usually starts with an ice breaker topic, where each students has time to speak, and I get to know them a bit. I've returned to sub for a few classes as well, so they know me.

This isn't to say it's the same as in-person teaching. It isn't. But at least I have a chance to get to know the students a bit and connect, and I get a chance to actually teach. At the end of the morning, there are always students who want to stick around and are reluctant to leave. They clearly have appreciated the session. That's what keeps me going.

My concern is that, due to the Covid shutdowns, the district has lost many subs, and rather than offering incentive to those who remain, they're now looking at outsourcing to an agency that contracts with independent contractors. This will mean many inexperienced, under qualified new subs, and a lot of turnover, which will severely undermine the credibility and trust for subs in general. At that point, I believe the schools will begin watering down the lesson plans to bypass sub interaction with students (just as some of you have mentioned). It's harder to do that with little kids. But for them, online videos, iReady, Jiji, etc. will probably be the babysitters. Being in a more populated region of CA, I don't see schools here opening up for hybrid anytime soon.

I'm discouraged about the downhill slide, but hey, that's what happens when districts look at the bottom line rather than the quality of education they offer. For some reason, the decision makers view subs as just a necessary evil rather than skilled professionals meeting a crucial need. It's a very corporate mentality...money over quality and service.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 12-21-2020 at 09:36 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 12-21-2020, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Yes, I think it really depends on the district. Some districts really do appreciate their subs, or at least learned to appreciate us. For example, my district enrolled for a free month trial with an outsource company for subs last year. But they immediately realized those particular subs were NOT even showing up from that company and quickly disbanded all ties with them. I doubt they will ever do anything that foolish again.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-21-2020, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Luv -so glad you are back on the list. Without your edd advice, I probably would have never even applied for unemployment.

I think you know a lot about online subbing- I would have no idea how to do any of that.

luv2teach2017

NJSubteacher
Old 12-21-2020, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Glad to hear your district saw the light and went back to their own in-house subs. I've seen that outsource agency's subs...they're just people who needed quick cash and had NO subbing experience. The agency doesn't even meet the people they contract...it's strictly a background check and very short phone interview. So I'm hoping that my district will come to their senses before too much damage is done. I'm guessing there will be a lot of complaints and a lot of no shows.

luv2teach2017

bodhimom
Old 12-21-2020, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thanks for your appreciation, bodhimom. I'm glad people here were able to get their UI. I was happy to share what I know.

I was really unsure about the distance learning thing, but I decided to give it a try. I got an hour's training from the district (not nearly enough) and then just played around with Zoom to figure out how it worked. The rest was jumping in and taking sub jobs. Turns out, the school staffs and teachers oftentimes knew less than I did! Talk about the blind leading the blind! But the positive side is that we are all in the same boat, and they have been VERY appreciative of me for being willing to sub. Overall, I'd say it's been a positive experience, and I've learned A LOT.

bodhimom

Old 12-21-2020, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I think you get an A+

Somebody on here posted the link to apply, too. Really helped me out, big time.

Last edited by bodhimom; 12-21-2020 at 06:26 PM..

subasaurus

Thanks for the replies. Closing statement.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Nice to experience any form of solace during these anxious and isolating days.

I think some tea and sympathy is what many of us could use right now dealing with this unstable, at times, callous profession.

I can tell many of us here have very different experiences right now. It's a bizarre confusing time indeed. It sounds like you folks in California are basically out of a job. I send my tea and sympathy.

Anyone stepping into their place of employment is incredibly brave right now. Those who work at supermarkets, hospitals, fitness centers, etc.. are all going to their jobs knowing the risks involved. I also send my tea and sympathy.

Any many people have lost their jobs completely. Upsetting to see.

I'll close with this little passive aggressive rant.

It's a shame some of the paper pushers/people in authority don't care about anything beyond the numbers and attendance right now. Very little understanding or empathy for the people (us!) walking in to a now bizarre, confusing, and potentially unsafe work environment. Heck, it's been unsafe for a long time now. But now you have to be careful not to breathe in the air or touch desks.

Schools need to remember: We are human, not robots.

Currently humans risking our lives, just like them.

This should not be downplayed! We are VIP's right now. Do not take us for granted, schools. You need us when a teacher has to quarantine for two weeks.

And for God's sake, don't get mad at us and ban us if we don't do everything perfectly right now. It's a pandemic, not time for a performance evaluation. Many of us aren't even teaching a thing. Many of us are completely out of the loop. And many of us are going through anxiety, fatigue, and depression.

So don't ban us if we aren't perfect right now.

There are so many new CDC guidelines coming out daily it's overwhelming.

You want us to spray down the desks between each period? Give us disinfectant spray and paper towels then! And if there's no hand sanitizer in the room you're already failing us. Don't blame us for your neglect.

Passive aggressive rant over. (Ok, it was much more than a little.)

Stay safe everyone. Wear a mask. Avoid dining with anyone outside your household. Wash hands frequently. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing anything that feels unsafe.

Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, and a peaceful New Year.

Last edited by subasaurus; 12-23-2020 at 08:12 AM..
Roks

Roks

Open Up
Old 12-23-2020, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Students are getting robbed right now by many school districts. The "science" is all over the place. While online for school, technical glitches and problems occur frequently. Students turn off cameras and mute themselves for long periods time from distractions or whatever reason. Many kids are bored to death. They aren't getting a quality education, and there will be plenty of lawsuits in the after math. Unfortunately many organizations, large companies,unions, school districts, etc. are using Covid for political reasons, and many are benefiting from it while the rest of us receive the collateral damage. Students and parents are paying the price. It is certain young children have a slim to no chance of dying from Covid. I sub in schools with very few kids there. I often watch them on Zoom to make sure they are focused. They can pay me for baby sitting all they want because the job is now easier in many ways, but I say open up the schools.