Help

BusyBoard

Lucy Calkins Persuasive Writing

>

Teacherbee_4

Lucy Calkins Persuasive Writing
Old 12-27-2020, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 4th grade. We do not have a formal writing curriculum, just our standards that are not Common Core. Anyway, I'm curious what Lucy Calkins persuasive writing unit looks like for 4th grade. What are the expectations? When I taught 5th, the kids wrote an argumentative persuasive essay with a topic like "Should schools serve chocolate milk?" things like that...things that required research, not things like "My parents should buy me this pet" or "________ is the best tv show".

In 4th grade, does Lucy have them do something that requires research? Any resources for 4th grade persuasive writing units based off of Lucy Calkins that I could look at they get an idea of expectations of what I should have my 4th graders do and how I should teach it?

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-27-2020, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught 3rd and we were researching. I hate LC with a passion. I think the expectations are way beyond what my kids could do.

That being said, you can find a ton of resources on TpT, Pinterest and there an LC FB page.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Persuasive Writing
Old 12-27-2020, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I taught second and we did book reviews, restaurant reviews, as well as asking others for something. One child wrote an essay to principal requesting extra recess time...P responded and added like one minute.

I believe the 4th grade unit is similar to 5th grade.

I love 90% of Lucy Calkins. I found it relatively flexible and I know Iím in the minority here. Too many schools adopted her program with no training and believed you had to teach every single lesson with every single bullet point. You do t.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 12-27-2020, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Check out Simplify Writing. They have a full writing curriculum for each grade level that is based on the CCSS and many of the units have a reference text/research type of component. There is a different writing type for each month and everything is provided for you. It is pretty affordable too.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

doright

Old 12-27-2020, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Lucy is an admitted fraud who does not understand literacy. Do not follow anything she sells. Do a bit of research on her and the fact that she does not even understand the programs she attaches her name to.

doright is offline   Reply With Quote