Help

BusyBoard

student of the week ideas

>

Sbkangas5

student of the week ideas
Old 01-01-2021, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to do a little more with our student of the week this year and would love some ideas! I'd love to have a special thing for them to do each day - whether it be a job (I don't have class jobs this year due to covid), something quick to share, etc. For now they get to stand on the star in our line, and we are going to do a quick phonemic/phonics activity with their name each day. I'm in kindergarten.

I also need one more idea to do with their name. I have spell it, clap it (syllables), rhyme it, and use the letters to make words.

Thanks for any ideas!

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Student of the week
Old 01-01-2021, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are having your students write their names, maybe you can have them do 'rainbow writing' as they tracing over the letters of their name several times with various colors.

For your student of the week it occurred to me that you might have them choose the game, song or 'brain break' each day.

I found this page that has more suggestions (listed below) to consider:
https://minds-in-bloom.com/ideas-for...ek-super-star/

Activity Ideas
--Child brings something special to share with the class – a possession, collection, or possibly a pet, if the school allows it.
--Child brings a favorite book to share. The teacher can read the book to the class, or the student can. For longer books just read a selection. Another idea is to allow the child to invite a grandparent or other special adult to read the book.
--Child brings in a special CD to share.
--Child puts a special object in a bag and leads the class (or helps the teacher lead) in a yes/no guessing game to guess what is inside.
--Child gets to eat lunch with a chosen friend in a special place in the room, such as the Class Library.

Last edited by Risa; 01-01-2021 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: added more suggestions
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

scientist of the week
Old 01-01-2021, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you do a search here for 'scientist of the week' you should find some threads about a trend that was brought up here many years ago. I think it was 1956BD who first introduced it here. I loved doing it and it was a great way to get family participation. I had a parent volunteer who would help any student that didn't have a plan. I had a box of ideas and materials that the volunteer could pull through and practice with the student. I kept a bulletin board with a picture of them doing their 'experiment.' The student would also design a vocabulary card that had something to do with their project and that would go on the board.

A simple idea was the balloon rubbed on something to show static electricity. They would push an empty aluminum can across a table or make the teacher's hair stand up. Their vocab card (written on a sentence strip) would be 'static electricity.' They did their experiment or demo on Fridays and they wore the class lab coat that day.

I kept a page on our google classroom that had links to websites that they might want to explore for ideas.

At the beginning of the year I did the slime model and said that was the last slime for the year.

I know that you do K, but you may be able to adapt this some how.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Caterpillar
Old 01-01-2021, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You could make a caterpillar with each letter of their name.about one letter in each circle, with the first one having eyes and a mouth.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 01-01-2021, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One of the teachers in my school has a special chair that the student of the week gets to use. She sticks their name on the back for the week.

It's a wood chair that she painted with cool designs and upbeat words. Wish I had a pictures, I'd share it.

Last year, pre-covid our kindness crew also implemented a weekly acknowledgement of students who were observed doing something kind for others (as nominated by other students and staff). One student was chosen from each class and they then got to wear the "kindness cape" for the week. They also got their picture taken and posted on the school website for the week. Maybe something like that could be used. The cape was just an inexpensive super-hero cape from Amazon.

elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Old 01-02-2021, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One of the things I did that a previous poster mentioned was having the child bring a favorite picture book to read, or have me read, to the class. They also shared their large Student of the Week poster that had been hanging throughout the week. I always took photos during this time.

The real hit, however, was the “special chair” (also mentioned previously) that my partner teacher had for her students. They could feel special every minute of the week.

You’ve gotten some great ideas. Have fun!
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-04-2021, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for all of the ideas! I'm going to implement most of them.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote