Help

BusyBoard

Martin Luther King Day

>

Teacherbee_4

Martin Luther King Day
Old 01-12-2021, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any activities you do in honor of Martin Luther King Day? I'm looking for something history based, but one that also promotes diversity and acceptance. I know there are lots of ideas out there, but I'm curious what others do.

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Risa

Choral Reading
Old 01-12-2021, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Choral Reading-PDF-"Martin Luther King, Jr. Poem for Choral Reading (Readers Theater) by Joan Nichols (I reformatted mine to fit onto less pages.)
https://iblog.dearbornschools.org/ah...-Reading-2.pdf

I always looked forward to having my students do this choral reading several times throughout the month. It was a way to give them some context and help them become familiar with some of the most famous lines from MLK's 'I Have a Dream' speech. (Assign students to read different lines as you would a play. If you need more lines to assign, divide some of the longer passages.) Of course you will need to go through the steps you use for teaching new vocabulary as well as whichever comprehension strategies you use with your students. You can decide on the pacing according to your students' needs.

Each year that I used it with my classes it was a little bit different, but sometimes we did online searches to delve more deeply into the background of some of the lines. When we had any other related activities I would refer them, or eventually, they would remind the class of where they read some of the lines in the choral reading.

The culmination was to have them watch an online video of the actual "I Have A Dream" speech. It was always very moving to watch them light up as they recognized and/or joined in as he spoke the lines they learned in their choral reading.

Edited to add: I just remembered that this was suggested by another PT member many years ago. I’m sorry I don’t recall the person’s name so I could give that person the well-deserved credit... and thanks for a great resource!

Last edited by Risa; 01-12-2021 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Added comment about original PT recommendation.
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

AuntKK

Risa
Old 01-12-2021, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you! I canít wait to use this.
AuntKK is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Mlk
Old 01-13-2021, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for sharing!