Unemployment and new sub

>

brj

brj

Unemployment and new sub
Old 12-07-2020, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

I am a new sub in Texas and I am currently on unemployment for a past job that I lost. The district I am signed up with has many jobs because we are doing in-person learning, but covid is getting worse here and they close schools when covid cases get too high. I signed up to be a sub in case I didn't get unemployment (it was before I got a decision on my case). Now that I am approved to sub and I'm on unemployment, I am afraid to start working because if I work every day there are available jobs then I'll lose my unemployment. With the uncertainty of covid and the fact that subbing isn't what I want to do full time (I'm actively searching for full-time jobs related to my degree), can I not take every available subbing job and still stay on unemployment? Like let's say I work 0, 1, 2, or 3 days a week depending on what I have going on (i.e: job interviews, doctors appointments, etc), can I still request my unemployment without it being refusing suitable work? Technically my district classifies subs as temporary employees and work every day isn't guaranteed because of the nature of subbing, so even if there are available jobs for me 5 days a week can't I choose to not take them and still claim unemployment? Sorry for the long explanation and questions, I am just so confused.

bodhimom

Old 12-08-2020, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When you recertify they will ask if you worked and how much money you made. If you made more than what you make on employment, you won't get anything that week.

I wouldn't lie. There has been at least one person on here who had to pay back money.

I didn't get any money a few weeks, but I'd rather work, anyway.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

northcalsub

Old 12-08-2020, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In California there is a section where you state your current week by week employment status. I can indicate on the online form that I am "part time on call due to covid." Substituting is a part time job. We are never guaranteed employment. Every day we compete with others for the jobs. I have been certifying each week, how much I have worked. I am distance teaching; but work 3-4 days a week. I am not going to stop unemployment because we are actively still working under the covid guidelines. Prior to this last year I could easily work 5 days a week thru the whole year. I have always taken jobs, in all grades and subjects. There are very few jobs, and most times during the day when I check online for jobs there are 0.
northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-09-2020, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do exactly what Northcal does.

When I first started working (hybrid) a few weeks ago, I reported my work days and I said the same thing Norcal did "Part time due to covid" because, even though i6was part-time, always, as are all subs, I'm not working nearly what I was last year, because of covid.

A couple of days later I got a letter from edd (by mail) that said that I had stated that I wasn't working for my district, anymore, and that if this isn't correct, I needed to tell them in 10 days or it could affect my benefits.

I have no idea how they got the idea that I said I didn't work for the district, anymore. I thought I must have messed up, somehow.

I called them and the guy (that didn't sound very confident) said that it was "ok."

The same thing happened the next time I reported earnings, and I just ignored the letter that time.

Norcal, if you're still reading this, did you get a letter like that when you reported?

I never said that I quit working at the district, but this keeps coming up when I certify earnings.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

Old 12-09-2020, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

But how can you get unemployment if there are available jobs and you don't take them?

mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

northcalsub

bodhimom
Old 12-09-2020, 09:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There is a box to check that asks are you still working for this employer. Make sure that is checked. I think it is before the place where you scroll down to put your current working status part time on call due to covid. I can't think of why you are getting tripped up.
northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote