Substitute Teachers

Ahhh I知 NEW SUB ! HELP

>

FashionistaNY

Ahhh I知 NEW SUB ! HELP
Old 12-17-2020, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey !

I am new to this group and I知 also a new sub.

I haven稚 started yet because I知 unsure of how to go about unemployment once I do start. Also, this would be my first time in the DOE field so I知 not sure what to expect being in a classroom especially under COVID circumstances.

Can anyone give me some tips and advice being a new sub and what to expect ? Also would I always be working alone or will their be an actual teacher there sometimes ?

How do you know what kind of lessons to prepare?

Thank you in advance

FashionistaNY is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 12-18-2020, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Subs generally work alone. The regular teacher is gone, unless she has an aide, etc., no one is with you. Expect the teacher to leave very basic plans. The goal is to maintain order, review concepts and implement the plans. You do not prepare lessons as a day to day sub, they are already done. If you are long term you will prepare plans. The best advice I can give is to arrive early and familiarize yourself with the room and plans. There may be special notes about allergies or other health conditions. NEVER disclose any confidential information about children. This includes those on IEP, or with medical info. Subbing is hard work. Remember to take deep breaths.
MACMama is online now   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Welcome
Old 12-18-2020, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This happens to be a crazy time for all subs, as you can imagine. I can't advise you on anything regarding unemployment. Everyone has their own reasons for subbing. Some do it hoping to get a foot in the door for a regular teaching position. I do it because the ability to choose when and where I work is worth the low pay to me. Realistically, this is a part-time job for most, and there is not even a guarantee of work unless you are employed as a permanent sub.

I would imagine all districts are different regarding Covid procedures since the circumstances and political leadership vary so much from state to state. Mine (middle school) is doing a 50/50 hybrid schedule. The desks are cleaned after every class. Supplies should not be shared, and if they are, they have to be sanitized too. Students can only move around the room under very specific criteria, to allow contact tracing if needed.

One up-side to this is that the small class sizes make behavior problems practically disappear. It would probably be a good time to ease into trying out this job. Good luck!

ETA: Early on, I benefited greatly by taking instructional assistant jobs. Often, this put me in a classroom with a "real" teacher, and I was able to learn a lot about classroom management and other things by watching them.

As mentioned above, usually there are lesson plans left that have a very basic expectation from the sub. I have found that the younger the students, the more time I need to give myself to understand the plan for the day. Older students are much more independent, and they usually help me with anything I don't understand
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-19-2020, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If I remember right, at least in California, they give you a percentage of your income for the last 2 years, divided into quarters.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote