Help

Substitute Teachers

Important!!! CA EDD great news!

>

CC96

Important!!! CA EDD great news!
Old 12-21-2020, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you work in California and have an EDD claim open then you might want to go in and check your balance, especially if your balance had completely run out to zero. I just checked mine and was pleasantly surprised! I will keep an eye on it to see what happens. Praying!

CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Happy
Old 12-21-2020, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Happy to hear you won't have to worry about this during your holiday break. Such good news for you and everyone else who gets extended at this time.
I still have a balance bcz I've been working 2-3 days a wk. We'll see what happens with that. Hoping.
Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Not sure
Old 12-21-2020, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My balance ran out and then it was refreshed to a larger number that is significant, however, Iím not sure itís going to stay. I think they have some calculating to do and then of course Iím not sure how the legislation that Congress just passed will affect things. That being said, as I said above, I was surprised, but Iím not holding my breath. I wanted to alert everybody so that you guys can all check your accounts and be updated if needed.

Sublime

Old 12-21-2020, 10:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mine hasn't changed, but it's not down to 0 yet. Good to hear, though.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Info
Old 12-21-2020, 10:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Mine had reached zero as of this week, and I believe that this is whatís going on, however, Iím not sure itís had final approval for me yet.

FED-ED Extension

With new legislative changes adopted in California, the Federal-State Extended Duration (FED-ED) extension provides up to 20 weeks of additional benefits for people who used all of their unemployment benefits during a period of high unemployment. The legislative changes also allow California to maximize federal support and meet the high unemployment period requirements under federal law to add an additional seven weeks to the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program. That now makes the maximum benefits available on a PUA claim a total of up to 46 weeks.

The 20 weeks of FED-ED benefits can only be paid during the extended benefit period, which is based on the stateís unemployment rate, and only after people have collected all regular Unemployment Insurance benefits as well as any Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) extension benefits they were eligible for. The earliest a FED-ED claim can begin is May 10, 2020, but the first people who could be eligible collected all benefits on their PEUC claims at the end of June.

The FED-ED program will continue until Californiaís unemployment rate drops below a certain level. At this time, there is no end date for the extended benefit period. This page will be updated when the extended benefit period ends.

Tapdancesub

Old 12-22-2020, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks! Iíll keep on the lookout! I have weeks to recertification today, which will wipe out pretty much the rest of my funds. Weíll see what happens.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 12-22-2020, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Just wanted to leave this here if I may for those in CA that are not familiar with this page:

Unofficial CA Unemployment Help
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UCAUH/
It's an open page with many sections, including a School Employee and a PEUC> FED-ED.
Thank you for your updates CC96. And THANK YOU to everyone else! As a 1st time applicant, without this site- I would've had a harder time maneuvering EDD.

jakeh

Old 12-26-2020, 10:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I took a two day job on 12/17-18 and reported to EDD what I would be paid.

I get a letter in the mail from EDD that said "Notice of Unemployment Insurance Claim Filed" on 12/20/20. Confusing since I have been on a continuing claim since March and have not, obviously, opened a 'new claim.' On my Certification 12/20/20 I chose "Still Working Part Time or On-Call - Related To The Coronavirus (COVID-10)" since I am over 70 years and only take jobs I feel relatively safe to do and the school I went to didn't have any recent COVID cases (I asked before I accepted). Didn't want to lie about those jobs and the income.

Confusing letter. Anyone else receive a letter like this if they did find work and certified that work to UI?

Thanks.
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

I received similar letter
Old 12-27-2020, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am in California. The first time I reported that I worked I got a similar letter. It said that I had told them that I didn't work for that district, anymore. It says, "Last day worked." I didn't mean that it was the VERY last day I would ever work there, but just that it was th he last time I worked there.

I called and talked to a less than confident kid who said to just ignore the letter - that's what I did. I get that letter every time I work, and it hasn't changed anything, as far as I can tell.

Like others have said, the system wasn't made with subs in mind.

If you want to call them, I called at about 9:15 on the morning and was on hold for probably 15 minutes. From what I've heard from others, that's pretty good.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 12-27-2020, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

bodhimom

Thanks for the info. I'll ignore the letter since it doesn't make any sense whatsoever...

Sirsubalot

Old 12-27-2020, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The statement I got yesterday has next week x'd out. Edd on line says I have no more claim until next March, although my balance is still over $1300.

What I don't understand in why my claim balance loses more than I am paid.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

jakeh
Old 12-27-2020, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Regarding jakeh's question, I have been working ( as a sub teacher, distance learning) on and off since Sept., but am still collecting UI to fill in the gaps. I complete the certify every 2 weeks, usually reporting a few hours of work per week. I never get those letters, and I believe it's because I've worked a few hours almost every week. In your case, the system may have triggered a letter because there had been a long gap since you last reported having worked.

Another possibility is that your claim may be expiring and EDD automatically applied for an extension for you. This is when I received that letter. It was when EDD filed for an extension of benefits for me. (I filed my original claim back in March).

At any rate, EDD is not very organized these days, and there are a lot of glitches in the system. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff as long as you get your benefits. If you really are determined to find out, you can try calling them (but be ready for a long wait on the phone).
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-27-2020, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Jekah - I can relate because I was really worried when I received the first letter. I thought I had messed up, somehow. In certifying since then, though, I know I didn't mess up, but I still get the letters.

bodhimom

Old 12-27-2020, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I just received a breaking news release article that Trump has signed the relief package. I don't know if it is official, yet, but a good sign.

It said the info was from "multiple sources," so I wouldn't spend the money until we know for sure.

Last edited by bodhimom; 12-27-2020 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: Added stuff

bodhimom

Old 12-27-2020, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I just got the same message sirs did. It says that I have received all my money for the year, even though I have $250 in my account, still (I don't get the extra $300/week b/c I get less than $100/week). I guess I just have to wait and see what happens.

jakeh

Old 12-27-2020, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thanks for all your replies.

Now I get this (I had a certification request 12/20-12/26 [one week]): 'Maximum Benefits Paid

You have received all benefits payable to you at this time. You cannot file another California Unemployment Insurance claim until your current benefit year ends."

...which implies 3/29/2021 unless the 'benefit year' means 12/31/20. They make it so confusing, at least to m.

"Benefit Year
03/29/2020 - On Extension"

Even though I have $469 left in my account. I guess it's because this certified week ended on 12/26 (end of current year). They are all messed up at EDD. Don't want to wait on the phone. Just play it by ear and wait and see. I'm just glad I got what I've received so far.

Thanks again. Your help and experience with this was revealing.

Last edited by jakeh; 12-27-2020 at 07:45 PM..

CC96

Now....
Old 12-27-2020, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Well sadly as I logged in just now, the sizable claim balance that would have covered another 20 weeks has been taken down to zero— it was there
earlier today. It says I am still on extension and the last week I got paid for was the week ending 12/12 and the week ending 12/20 is marked unpaid. So we will see if I qualify for that other extension program or whatever Congress just passed. I’m really hoping something good happens that will continue to allow me to receive Edd.

Update #1 Just logged in again and it told me to certify for week ending 12/26 — so I certified even though my balance is marked zero that way it is done in case Money re-appears. Here’s praying!

Ok update #2–The continuing saga of EDD, you guys are not gonna believe this, seriously! So just for fun after reading that Trump has signed everything— I logged into my EDD account yet again and all my money was put back into my balance and they paid me for the week ending 12/26 that I literally just certified for less than 30 minutes ago. I’m telling you strange things are going on with Edd so keep a good eye on your account. I am hopeful — continuing to praise God for blessings in this crazy world.

Last edited by CC96; 12-27-2020 at 08:18 PM..

Sirsubalot

Old 12-27-2020, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I got the exact same info as Jakeh. I am wondering if something is up with EDD since they are shut down for maintanance until Monday at 1 AM.

I am also wondering whether I should call or just send a message asking for an explanation for the increased claim reduction.

On December 5th, my claim was $2646. Including today's payment which I should get this week, I will have been paid $1129 since then. $2646 minus $1129 equals $1517.

So why do I have $1391 left on my claim instead of $1517?

Does anyone else notice these discrepancies on their statements?

If so, has the EDD provided adequate explanations?
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-29-2020, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Ju ssf t so you guys know, I got the notice that I had used all my benefits for the year, like many of you did. but I did get the ui money today, anyway.

Tapdancesub

Old 12-30-2020, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I got the same notice today.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 12-30-2020, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Same here. Same message jakeh received, and just like bodhimom- I received a payment two days ago.
Claim summary reflects a balance though. Hoping it gets added to any future extension. We'll see what happens.

Wahala

Old 12-30-2020, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Same here. I got paid for 12/20-12/26 [one week]). Claim summary reflects a balance, but it says: Maximum paid.

Praying for an extension, because my District is recruiting subs on higher pay without posting jobs for those of us who already have reasonable assurance for 2020/21 school year. Have tried to contact HR/Sub coordinator with no luck.
Wahala is offline   Reply With Quote

Wahala

EDD News Release
Old 12-30-2020, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

For those in California, I saw this on the EDD website:

https://edd.ca.gov/About_EDD/pdf/news-20-68.pdf
Wahala is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Don't understand...
Old 01-03-2021, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

"Maximum Benefits Paid

You have received all benefits payable to you at this time. You cannot file another California Unemployment Insurance claim until your current benefit year ends." My benefit information says 'Benefit Year 03/29/2020 - On Extension'

I have a Claim Balance $469.00.

Can someone explain this to me? I've not received a Certify email nor see Certification on the UI site but do see the claim balance.

Here's newer news: https://edd.ca.gov/About_EDD/pdf/news-20-70.pdf

Thanks.

bodhimom

Old 01-03-2021, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I got the same thing and was just as confused, but I still got the ui, on schedule. Not sure what happened.

jakeh

Old 01-03-2021, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

bodhimom:

What do you mean "I still got the ui, on schedule.?" Do you mean the payment for the week ending 12/26, one week?

Thanks

Edit: I found this on google, very interesting.

https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/cor...0UI%20benefits.

Last edited by jakeh; 01-03-2021 at 07:20 PM..

bodhimom

Old 01-03-2021, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I received the two weeks, a few days ago. I dont get the extra 300 because I make less than 100/week in ui. I didn't get anything for a few weeks because I had worked, but a few days ago I got the 2 weeks base pay, as i should have, even though i had received the same message about not getting anything else until I reapply.

Hopefully that makes sense because I'm having to rush.

jakeh

Questions answered
Old 01-05-2021, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

This was encouraging and answered a lot of questions: (got this from FB, https://www.facebook.com/californiaedd/)

>> https://youtu.be/oVtkHzKewm0