Help

Substitute Teachers

Would you

>

happygal

Would you
Old 01-11-2021, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Interview for a long term sub position? Anyone have any experiences to share?

happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 01-11-2021, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did it for 3 months - 8 years ago.
I had materials to work with but no lesson plans. I was passionate about my subjects I had World Studies American history and one citizenship class; Pluses: Small classes because these were for ESL students. Left alone, never observed, not even once. Could basically teach whatever I thought fit.

However, the disparity between me and the regular staff was stark. The pay was ridiculously low - 105 a day and nearly every day I had to cover some class first block, usually at the other end of the school and of course, I did not get the compensation full-time teachers did for covering other classes.
I was not given a laptop or invited to any new teacher orientation. But I sucked it up and did my best, using my own laptop to show documentaries and buying my own posters and creating a word wall.
I had some really great kids and enjoyed getting to know them, but was glad to get back to daily subbing and didn't miss the daily headache of lesson planning.
Oh yeah, the teacher I filled in for got fired that year -got involved with a student. Married too.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 01-11-2021, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have worked several long-term sub jobs, before I got my tenure teaching job, and they were o.k. Good to get good letters of recommendation and maybe references, if you need them. I wouldn't do them, now, though. Too much work to not be tenure-track.

I would say to just be yourself. Smile a lot and appear confident.

I wouldn't say anything negative about yourself, because it seems those things get remembered more, I think.

If you are not good at bragging about yourself (like I am), then maybe write a list of your accomplishments and qualities you'd like to make sure to say.

I recently applied for a tenure teaching position, and it is probably the same. My experience is that the person doing the interview usually hasn't looked at your resume, cover letter, etc., very much, if at all. Seems those things are just for human resources to vet the applicants. I have heard that even human resources doesn't read the cover letter.

I assumed that the interviewers knew what I had put in my resume and written in my cover letter, but I learned the hard way that they are wanting you to tell them, yourself.

I felt weird regurgitating what was on my resume, like I would have been insulting their intelligence, since I ASSUMED that they had it right in front of them (it was done via zoom, so I didn't know, but I assumed that). Now I think they were wanting that.

They asked how I handle discipline. I think they are wanting a step-by-step plan, like the first thing is 'name on the board,' etc.

They asked what I would do if a student kept interrupting class. I said that I would send them to the office because they didn't have the right to affect the learning of others, but I don't know if that was what they were looking for, especially since I didn't get the job.

You can google "interview questions for teachers."
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Thanks everyone
Old 01-12-2021, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I appreciate the feedback.

Did you know that in America we now have Substitute Teachers Day?

Anyone know if ever a reality type TV show has ever been done about substitutes?

I went to an interview in 2002. Twelve people were on the panel (for a difficult 5th grade 32 kids position) i remember bringing my cover letter and resume and passing out to each.

i just want to play in the snow and go back to being seven years old again.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote
daynight333

daynight333

Long Term Position
Old 01-12-2021, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Only interview for it if you want to become a full-time teacher. The slight pay increase is not worth the added work/stress. Some people say it's less stressful to be in one room every day, but to each their own.

I interviewed for a long term at an ok middle school. It was in my subject area, and it was from April to years end. I subbed in that room/team before and was somewhat familiar with the students/teachers. I was interested in the position since I wanted to become full time teacher, but when I heard no pay raise and was referred to as basically another warm body, I declined.

A good long term position has the students and teacher basically treat you like the full time teacher.

pt2014js

Old 01-14-2021, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did long term (only allowed six weeks) as computer/ media teacher... I knew my stuff, so interview went well, short and sweet. Took 3 weeks before I had computer to take home, and I never got an email account. Materials for class took weeks, I ended up buying and getting reimbursed later, after assignment ended.

No lesson plans, not enough computers for all students. Am I handing out grade and showing up for back-to-classroom night?

I would do it again, but would want to know upfront at the interview what they will be doing for the classroom.

Best to know what exactly you are interviewing for- will they treat you like a regular teacher or are they saving money?
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote