The VENT

Working In Grad School

>

happy2learn-

Working In Grad School
Old 06-29-2017, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone. I have a few questions.

I wanted to get some helpful suggestions on what would be a great job to work while in Grad school?

Would it be possible to work as a Para-professional and do student teaching or would you have to take a leave of absence?

What full time jobs can you work to maintain living cost while in Grad school for teaching?

happy2learn- is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 06-29-2017, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did grad school while teaching, so it's possible depending on the program you're in. If you're program meets in the events/weekends you can definitely do a para job.
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

happy2learn-

Old 06-29-2017, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The program I will be completing is Master's in Arts of Education in Elementary Education. I have to complete student teaching as well but would I be able to still work as a para or anything else relating to education?

Zia

Old 06-29-2017, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it depends on your program. We had a para get a Master's and she had to take a leave of absence during student teaching. Some programs here let you do student teaching in your own classroom. It just depends on the program.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Not with the teachers I know
Old 06-29-2017, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Student teaching can be very demanding and I have known several candidates who were kicked out of the program on the recommendation from the master teacher.

The typical problem is the lack of preparation. As you advance through the year, more and more will be demanded of you. Honestly, to do a good job, you would need to spend hours every night preparing and planning. This is in addition to the full day in the class with the kids.

I think if your Master's degree program includes the student teaching, you should be fine because the university will arrange your schedule so it is doable.

Student teachers do best when they have absolutely nothing else going on in their lives.

Good Luck

TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 06-30-2017, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I worked in a school as a paraprofessional while earning my masters. I also lived at home with my parents as I could not afford to live on my own at the time. While I student taught I took a leave of absence from the para pro job.

As others have said, student teachers do best when they have nothing else going on.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Financial Help?
Old 06-30-2017, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I did my student teaching as an undergrad. I did not work at the time. In those days, I had to go home every night and "fix" my lesson plans for one co-op with an old word processor. I think it did have a save function, but this was still time consuming. For my second placement, I spent a lot of time on laminating, making posters, and doing things like that. i remember having to go to a copy shop to have pictures printed. I also would have to do research/work at the library! Yep, no Internet then. I would have my roommates and friends help me cut out things constantly. I don't see how I would have had time to work at all!

For grad school, for one year I subbed and had a part-time job on the side. For the second year, I taught full-time. Looking back, I don't know how I did it! I did have some online classes. One semester, I had a student teacher who taught. I can't imagine being in grad school and student teaching. I would take off the semester and get loans.

I had a student teacher last year who struggled to keep up with the work load. I work a lot on school stuff, so I didn't hold it against her. However, it was like she had no concept of how long it takes to grade over 120 tests with essays. I don't see how she could have done the bare minimum working outside of school.

At my school, we have had career change student teachers who had families and businesses on the side. They seemed to do well.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 07-02-2017, 12:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We weren't allowed to work really in my program. You had classes at all different times of day& night & student teaching. Although the last school year quarter was just the ST seminar/cohort and full time student teaching. Our program started slowly: 12 hours, 15 hours, then full time...mine was a fast one year combine grad/teacher certificate program Tho.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Madaly320

Old 07-09-2017, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think it depends on your school (college).
For instance, I am in Grad school and I am a sped teacher. I am doing my "student teaching" while working my job. My college allows that. I have to have a teacher in the school with professional status act as my practicum supervisor and my professors will come visit me for observations. Essentially, I am paying my college for the practicum but just doing my job.
Madaly320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Madaly320

Old 07-09-2017, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I work full time as a sped teacher. I also work part time somewhere else. I am in Grad school. I take one class at a time. I have kids and a husband and demands, etc.

It can be challenging but it can be done. Grad school doesn't have to be all at once, full time. It is manageable.

happy2learn-

Old 07-09-2017, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I will be completing my classes one at a time as well. My plan was to get a teacher assistant job while going through my program and take a leave of absence (if I see it's needed) when I start my student teaching.

Madaly320

Old 07-09-2017, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

You defintely should work in a school if you don't already. I began my Masters having never worked in a school! I got a job as an aide and have just worked my way up. In my area, the shortage for Sped/Severe disabilities is huge so I am able to work without a license, providing the state approves a waiver for me which gives me a year. If I never got a job as an aide, none of what I was learning would make any sense. Good luck!

happy2learn-

Old 07-10-2017, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I've applied to some teacher assistant positions but haven't had any luck yet. I still have a couple other pending teacher assistant position I'm waiting to hear from but I'm pray I get it.
I agree, I definitely feel working in the field while completing my studies will help me connect what I learn and use it the classroom.
How is it working with SP.ED? What are the pros and cons?