Help

Special Education

Help for BB ideas in sp ed

>

daisies

Help for BB ideas in sp ed
Old 07-23-2006, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey guys! I need help! I am new to special ed. I have a part time position teaching ERI (early reading intervention - no special ed students) and a part time position teaching Resource (these are students assigned to spe ed). We have an ocean theme going. How in the world can I decorate two entrance ways without violating the privacy of special ed students? My room is NOT identified as special ed. It looks and feels like a regular classroom. Can I put names on things if the room is not identified as sp ed? What could I do with the ocean theme?
Signed: Too Stressed to Think!

daisies is offline   Reply With Quote

Speced9

Old 07-23-2006, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The fact that you say it "looks and feels like a regular classroom" is key. What do you think a special ed. classroom looks like? In reality, it doesn't look any different. Honestly, no one could tell my classroom is for special needs students by looking at. I do many if not all of the building-wide things my colleagues do (word walls, word webs etc. etc.).
So, basically, the only thing you don't want to do is put up a sign outside your classroom that says, "HEY! THIS IS SPECIAL EDUCATION!". I wouldn't be concerned with using the word "resource" though. I taught resource for eight years at the middle school level, and most of the kids didn't have a clue that it was a special ed. program. You wouldn't believe the number of kids over the years who would ask me if they could come to resource. They just looked at it as a place to get help and escape the classroom.

With that said, how about RESOURCE REEF for an ocean-theme idea?
Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

brett158

Old 07-24-2006, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I put my SPED kids named on the BB in the hallway at the beginning of the year. Like the earlier poster, ALL the kids I dont get beg me to come to my room for reading or math!! You could do something like "Look at all the fish in our sea" or "Dive into a Great Class" or "Ms. __________'s school of fish" and put their names up on fishes!
brett158 is offline   Reply With Quote
kferment

kferment

Ocean suggestions
Old 07-31-2006, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You don't need to put students names outside. This goes against privacy of the student. You can put their work outside but with their names on the back. I have taught resource for 15 years and have talked to students about this before putting anything outside. As far as decorations go, a giant whale over your door, with the caption, We are ready for a whale of a year!!
Hope this helps! Have a great year.