Help

Special Education

Parapro in spec ed w/ no teacher

>

ne-ne1979

Parapro in spec ed w/ no teacher
Old 07-31-2006, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The new school year has started and i have no teacher. I would like to decorate the room w/ a tropical theme, but my last teacher said that might to much of a distraction. So I don't know what to do. I don't know when a new teacher will come. I need to do something to the classroom. Any ideas?

ne-ne1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

kali

nice thought
Old 07-31-2006, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

to want to prepare the room so it provides a warm feeling for your students. That must be very diffcult for you without a special ed. teacher. I imagine you are working very hard.

I have some advice. wanting to set the room up is the right thing to do. However, as I am sure you understand, when the new special ed teacher is hired and arrives, she will probably want to put her own touches on everything. However, with lots of paperwork and responsibilities, the classroom decor might be the least of their priorities. To play it safe, why don't you do a real simple and tasteful non theme room. Do your bullentin boards with colorful paper and random age appropriate banners. Maybe build a small simple word wall. Something that might be nice is a writers wall of fame, you can hang your students writing/ilustrations. maybe a math them board with a 100s chart or math facts, depending on grade level.
kali is offline   Reply With Quote

brett158

Old 07-31-2006, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with Kali. You can do alot to make the room look warm and inviting without spending all your energy creating a theme, only to have a new teacher come along and want to change it all! Do you have any idea on a timeframe to get a teacher in there?? That has to be very frustrating!
brett158 is offline   Reply With Quote

ne-ne1979

Old 07-31-2006, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No time frame! My principle say worst case scernio "A sub will fill in" Ladies give me more ideas. Need help.
ne-ne1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Speced9

Old 07-31-2006, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I still wouldn't go overboard w/ decorating as far as a theme goes. Keep it simple- put basic stuff up and solid color borders. I guarantee that when a teacher is hired, he/she will want to do their own thing. There's no need for you to put in a lot of time only to have it changed.

Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

brett158

Old 08-01-2006, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What grade level? Is it self-contained or pull-out?
What about setting up a Homeworkopoly board. It is colorful and would take up some space on the wall. www.teachnet.com/homeworkopoly/
You can download and print it and mount it on some bulletin board paper. Then give the kids some simple homework to do each night, if you make it a review and save it your teacher will already have a handle on where the kids are at. Have the students do a writing sample the first day and hang them all up on a bulletin board or on the wall. I usually have them write a letter to last years teacher. That way you can see if you need to work on letter format, punctuation, spelling, etc. You could make a couple of posters with rules, rewards, and consequences. That wouldnt take too much energy and no big deal if the teacher wanted to change. I have a bunch of simple poster, made from bulletin board paper and letter cut outs, that show students accomplishments. For example a poster that says I can count change, students can sign it when they count change correctly. I also have one for telling time and another for # of books read. Does your school provide you with a number line and alphabet chart to put up in the room?
brett158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sixtiesbabe

Sixtiesbabe

Old 08-05-2006, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You need to find the right balance for your students. Too much color, too much on the wall may be overstimulating for some. Yet, you need something.

Go ahead and decorate the buliten boards. There are lots of good ideas out there- just do an internet search.

You may want to put up a few motivational posters. You can get them at teacher supply stores.

When your teacher arrives, I don't think he/she will mind. They will have so much to get caught up on they will be glad the decorating is done!