Help

Special Education

First day activities and ideas

>

kbach

First day activities and ideas
Old 07-27-2006, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new teacher (actually I am coming from a social work background and going for alternative certification). I will be teaching 3&4th educable mentally handicapped students. Most are on a K-1st level but a couple are below. Most also have issues with fine motor. I am looking for good first day activities that I can do with my kids. I don't want to frustrate them right from the start ! I should be getting a mentor and of course will be working closely with the 5th grade teacher but I would love to get any ideas, websites, advice or ANYTHING! Any other advice on great language programs or anything is greatly appreciated as well.

THANKS!

kbach is offline   Reply With Quote

Speced9

Old 07-28-2006, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't be that concerned with first day activities. After getting everyone settled w/ supplies etc. etc, going over expectations for behavior (classroom and school-wide) and basic routine, I've found there's very little time left anyway. During the time I do have I let the kids explore the room so to speak. I talk about the areas where they will go (library area, learning centers, computers,) during a typical day and let each of them have some time there.

As far as great language programs go, I recommend "Language for Learning" by SRA. It's a very good program.
Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote
criey

criey

Old 07-30-2006, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just wishing you luck. I am in the same situation as you, Social worker entering the field of teaching via alternative certification.

mrsmaz

Old 07-30-2006, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach autistic students in grades 3-5. On the first day I try to keep the day as typical as possible so that the kids get used to the routine since they have difficulty with transitions and new situations. I find that plunging right in helps the kids to acclimate better. I do use the first couple of weeks to assess regression that may have occoured over the summer and to determine baseline skill levels.
mrsmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
kferment

kferment

First day activities
Old 07-31-2006, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A fun first day activity would be to read a book and do a cooking activity. First Day Jitters is a cute book. When I taught self contained, we did a fun cooking activity each Friday. There are a lot of fun noncooking activities that you can do. Book Cooks is a good book that offers suggestions. Good luck!

thechangingta

Can I join you too?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was hired yesterday, a first time teacher with a social work bachelors. I will be teaching EH (Emotionally Handicapped) children in grades 2/3. I was told that as of right now, I have 7 students and I have an aide in the classroom with me. I just graduated from an alternative certification program on Friday. Today is my first day in my classroom. I did not know that I was going into ESE (exceptional student education). I took the ESE subject area test because one of the classes I took during my alt cert classes (diversity) said that there was such a need for reg population teachers in elementary school to look for early behaviors that might signal LD. Our school district wants to identify LD as soon as possible so that they can mainstream earlier. It helped me qualify for this position!

I would love ANY ideas, especially about how NOT to overload the kids with a loud or distracting classroom. Of course, I am in a nesting mode, but need restraint to not decorate up a storm! !

As an ESE teacher, can I follow WONG advice for the first day of school? Do now activities, etc?
thechangingta is offline   Reply With Quote

dclamt

Have fun
Old 08-03-2006, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I too teach a class of EH students. This year I have a 2nd & 3rd grade combined class with a roster of 6. I have taught EH for the past 11 years. Previous to that I taught Autistic for 2, multiple handicapped for 3 and severe speech (as a full time sub)for 6 months. Moving to EH was a personal choice and a very rewarding one. I hope you love it as much as I do.

I haven't experienced overloading a child too much by having a busy (highly decorated) classroom. My classroom is neat but I "post" lots on the walls and from the ceiling. I engulf the children in seeing written language, teaching graphs and labeled pictures.

Would you be interested in setting up pen pals? If interested, let me know. I will be teaching 3rd grade SS to a group of 5 as of right now and would like to exchange letters to help them learn about other communities.
dclamt is offline   Reply With Quote

thechangingta

Hi, register so that I can PM you!
Old 08-04-2006, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

dclamt:

I am interested in contacting you. I tried to contact you, but I could not get my PM to go through! Register your email to get PM's. Thanks! christine
thechangingta is offline   Reply With Quote

dclamt

Old 08-05-2006, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Christine,
email me at dclamt12@yahoo.com
I'm not very handy with computers.
Thanks Carol
dclamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sweetpea

Sweetpea

Severe and Profound Mental Disabilities...
Old 08-10-2006, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am a first year teacher teaching MD severe and profound students. I have a 5th grader, 2nd and a kindergartener. Does anyone have experience with this type of children and if so, any suggestions of activities, etc? I need help. I am SO nervous and scared for my first day of school that starts in two weeks. HELP!!! :-)