Special Education

Ideas for Resource Room, Small Group

>

MrsKool

MrsKool

Ideas for Resource Room, Small Group
Old 07-07-2006, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be leading a resource room on my own this year along with a couple small group math/ language arts classes. Do you have any ideas for me? Last year I did coteaching but this year I am totally on my own. I would love some new and fresh ideas that will help get me excited!

Tex

New Room
Old 07-08-2006, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations! What levels/grades will you have?
Tex
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
MrsKool

MrsKool

class
Old 07-10-2006, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have 6th grade. I am working with students with mild disabilities.
SNSK

SNSK

Resource Room
Old 07-12-2006, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi girls. I too will be teaching resource this year for the first time. I am so excited! One idea I've been mulling over is the use of portfolios. Not necessarily for assessment but to encourage self reflection with the students. I hope to teach them the strategies to monitor their learning better. Any ideas?
MrsKool

MrsKool

portfolios
Old 07-13-2006, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've also been thinking about portfolios. I am thinking about asking each kid to bring in a binder. Then, I would be able to have them collect some of their work in them, or I could copy off papers to have them complete that are on their specific level and have them do independently.

(My brain is churning trying to come up with good ideas before the school year begins!!!)

Tex

Ideas
Old 07-13-2006, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I taught 6-8 resource math, reading and language arts. Here are some of the thing sthat seemed to work for me:

1. Find a book that the kids will love to read...use the book for reading and language arts. I taught in an inner-city Title 1 school...I used the book "The Scorpions" by Walter Dean Myers. It was about teen gang activity. We used the book for oral reading, peer reading, silent reading, writing, sentence structure/grammar, doing reports and research on the internet, finding gang related articles in the newspaper and writing summaries, having the police gang unit come in to talk about gang issues...I could go on but you get the idea. The kids loved the book and the activities. We also did role playing.

2. When working with math instead of using textbooks use real life material. We used newspapers and sale flyers for math problems relating to percentage, discount, addition, subtraction, multiplication, graphing, probability, fractions, decimals etc. My kids loved jewelry so I focused on jewelry, cars, apartments, video games etc.

3. Another item I used for reading and writing was the state's driver test booklet. Since every kid wants to drive we used this for reading and LA. It was great.

4. Kids in these grades love competition...I would always make up competitions using teams and it gave a whole new spin on the class. It was really corny sometimes. Once I divided the class into four teams and each had to find the most contractions in a section of the driver's testing book and write the contraction and the words it shortens.

5. We played current songs (clean songs) and kids had to write down the lyrics, what they thought they meant, number of nouns, adjectives, contractions, etc. They then had to write another stanza.

I loved working with the kids...have fun with them.

Tex
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote

Kar

Thanks
Old 07-14-2006, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Great ideas, Tex! I'll be "stealing" some of them for next year.

Karen
Kar is offline   Reply With Quote