Help

Special Education

Curriculum--HELP

>

brett158

Curriculum--HELP
Old 07-17-2006, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was just curious how everyone elses school deals with curriculum. Do you have to use what the reg. education classroom use? Do you get money to buy curriculum? I teach K-8 in a rescource room and am responsible for most students reading and math curriculum. I am not required to use the same curriculum as the reg. education (ex. Saxon math), however, Im not given any funds to purchase anything else. The problem is the reason the kids are coming to me is they have NOT been successful with the reg. ed. curriculum. I've ended up spending so much of my own money on materials and programs. Each of the children I see is so different and needs a reading or math program suited for their needs. I've tried to develop reading lessons and programs by compiling a variety of materials it just takes an incredible amount of time and money!!! Anyway, just wondering what everyone elses situation was?

brett158 is offline   Reply With Quote

jmehta

curriculum?
Old 07-19-2006, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you tried using Saxon on any of your students? Have you asked your principal or sped coordinator for funds or help? Who did the job before you did? Do you have any way of knowing your student's strengths & weaknesses besides going by their IEPs?

I have delt with all this in the past. If you want more info, email me: jamehta@comcast.net
jmehta is offline   Reply With Quote

brett158

Old 07-19-2006, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've asked for funds...I dont get any! I know the students pretty well, because I have had some of them for three years. We used to have saxon BUT the school switched curriculum and got rid of all the texts. ARGH!! They did it over a summer so I didnt have a chance to grab any before they did it. The new program they bought is way out of most of my students reach, not enough practice of concepts and it moves way too fast. I just find myself spending way too much time and money developing things that will work for each child. It is just so frustrating.
brett158 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Different approach....
Old 07-19-2006, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have found that the regular curriculum works well for my kids IF I approach it a different way. By law, special ed kids are "suppose" to be exposed to the same curriculum as their peers. So if the 5th grade class is doing improper fractions, but using ridiculously hard fractions, my kids will do improper fractions but use 7/2, 5/3, etc. Same material, just at their level.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
seeled

seeled

Old 07-19-2006, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I first started teaching, my classroom had no materials and no money. I begged, stole and borrowed EVERY BOOK I could get my hands on. Now when I go into a classroom, I have every type of workbook I could possible need because I copied everything I could get my hands on. Since I have taught grades 3-12, I have about any level. Ask some of your co-workers if you can copy their materials. Do you have a local educational coop you can borrow materials from? There are actually lots of materials on the internet you can print off. It is time consuming but an idea. Hope that helps. I have been there and know it is extremely frustrating!

kferment

kferment

Materials
Old 07-31-2006, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love to use the website www.ReadingA-Z.com. You can print materials on everyones reading levels. There are lesson plans, vocabulary etc. for each book. Ask your PTO to pay for the subscription or send a letter to your parents and ask for donations to pay for it. You might also write a grant on www.donorschoose.org. You can get funding through that sight too. Check to see if your state has grants you can apply for for materials also. Talk to your spec. ed. dept and see if they have materials that they will buy for you. Spec. ed. money is sent to districts and should be given to teachers to buy materials. Good luck!