Help

Special Education

New Student Proceedures

>

brett158

New Student Proceedures
Old 07-25-2006, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering what everyone does when they get a new student in the middle of the year. I teach K-5 in a pull-out program mostly for reading and math. Throughout the year I get a lot of students who just show up without any notice. I do not have time to "test" them to see where they are at. Does anyone have any new student proceedures they do with the students you get in the middle of the year. I try and look at their IEP when I get a moment. I have them create a writing sample in the mean time and do some simple math activities (count change,tell time). The problem is I usually have 5-9 other kids in the room when a new student shows up!! It is hard to figure out where they are and also explain all the proceedures of my classroom.

brett158 is offline   Reply With Quote

Speced9

Old 07-25-2006, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, everyone gets those additional students mid-year. My favorite is getting someone new the week before Christmas.

Personally, I don't think it's a matter of having the time to test/welcome the new kid, you just have to make the time, especially w/ the testing to see where they are. As far as class routine, I usually use this time to review things w/ my current students and ask someone trustworthy to be the new student's buddy.
Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote