Substitute Teachers

Listings

>

Mystery2020

Mystery2020

Listings
Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As a teacher who has tried to get a teaching job for many years; I am surprised at how permanent teachers are already requesting days off to add to their Fall, Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday breaks. It must just be a complete sense of entitlement on their part. I would have been so thrilled to have my own classroom that I would be there unless it was an emergency or an illness. I just do not get why the people who are hired for permanent jobs are hired. I have watched this type of behavior for so many years and the attitude that they can call off for any reason. This call off policy would not be tolerated in any other job or industry. I know this because I have worked at other jobs and NO Way can people just call off or take off when ever they please. I know this gives jobs to the subs, but still I do not comprehend this behavior.

kysub

Because the teachers here are related
Old 08-23-2012, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

to someone at central office. One teacher takes weeks off at a time. She has had 18 grandmas pass away. I have perfect attendance for 7 years of subbing (when I had an assignment) and I cannot even get a para job.
kysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Woolie

Woolie

Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's frustrating. I hate to judge, I really try not to, but when you make about $15,000 a year, it's hard not to judge on occasion. The district I work at most of the time likes to hire young alumni of the district. My age (39) really works against me.

I think we all have our pet peeves. Mine is teachers who cut all of the students in line for lunch. Yes, I know time is short, but the students have less time than we do! Most teachers in my school have at least two preps, so it's not a problem to run down and grab a cup of coffee or snack during the day. Kids don't have that time. I stand in line with the kids regardless of how long it takes, because I want them to realize that everyone must be patient and wait their turn. Even teachers.

Sometimes I think I have subbed for too long, because I do feel resentful sometimes of the remarks like "just a sub" or "So you stayed home and played mommy, huh?" The kids are seldom what makes a day difficult.

kysub

Every new teacher in my district
Old 08-24-2012, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

is either male, under 30, childless, or an alum
kysub is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-25-2012, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are not permitted to take a day before or after a schedule holiday. Now, I'm sure that there are some people who take their sick days then when they aren't sick, but it's not actually all that common here.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

i beg to differ
Old 08-25-2012, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Teachers are given professional days and.personal time days. These are days they are allowed to take while students are in session. Why shouldn't they take their allowed days off? I get what you are saying but most employers will not sell back or carry over unused time and it is a benefit they should get to enjoy.

As a sub I don't mind. It is week two of school here and I have many jobs booked which suits me fine. Some are pro dUe but some are personal....either way I get paid the same. My dh works in a different biz. He uses his time off for our family. He is extremely dedicated working nights, weekends and holidays just like teachers...he would be a fool notto use his time for his family, his health, and as an alloted benefit.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Mystery2020

Mystery2020

Differences
Old 08-26-2012, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

in schools systems is apparent. No prep times - often no lunch either - teachers do lunch duty. 55 dollars a day here. If a contract teacher is earning 150 to 200 a day and calls off - why should a sub with more education and experience be earning 55 dollars a day? This sub pay is very much the norm in my state too. Yes and it is who you know that gets you a full-time contract - not what you know. I have seen people with little education and no teaching license get a full time job - because of who they know - and they do not appreciate their jobs at all. This is why I sub only in between other jobs - even though I am licensed teacher. I just do not like the politics.

broomrider

Mixed feelings
Old 08-26-2012, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Teachers may be scheduling time off early so that they are sure to have a sub when they take their earned time off. They are being responsible.
Yes, taking time off from work might seem like pushing limits, but the time is negotiated and earned. If they don't take the days, most will probably not get any reward.

When I retired I had a month short of a school year in leave days. We were supposed to be paid 25% of the days earned. I got 12% because so many retired when I did and there was a cap on the dollars available. Like me, many teachers had lots and lots of unclaimed days off.

It's better to take off days during the year at full pay than to get a fraction of their value at retirement and nothing at all if you move to another district or are RIFed. I certainly wish I'd taken more off. One reason I didn't was planning for a sub is so dang time consuming. It's easier to show up than set up for a sub.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Mystery2020

Mystery2020

Labor Day Weekend
Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Many teachers and the support staff are requesting this Thursday, Friday and even Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week so that they have a week off already! Many subs then have to do the work of support staff and the teacher because they can't get enough people to cover the call offs.

1. Subs definitely must be paid more - especially if they are doing two or three peoples jobs! Why not pay the subs the same as a teacher per day?

2. Respect is needed - the principals act like subs can do two or three peoples jobs! We have no union to back us up in these situations.

3. Lesson plans are needed - a tiny post it note and locked desks and cabinets and nothing available is unacceptable!
Mystery2020

Mystery2020

As I predicted
Old 08-30-2012, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

more teachers are asking off for this week and next to extend their Labor day holiday weekend. There are not enough subs and they are doubling and tripling up classes - 80 students per room - sitting on the floor. The schools are calling subs on the phone even though they are listed as online subs only. Of course they are breaking the rules and if a sub accepts the job off the online system, then they will be in trouble. But the schools don't care about the subs future. They only care about getting a sub that day when they want one. Subs cannot teach 80 students sitting on the floor with no books or supplies.