Help

Third Grade

Solar System Reports

>

luv2lern

Solar System Reports
Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to do a solar system report with my class. This is my first year in 3rd and my class is really excited about the subject. Would love to hear what others have done.

TIA

luv2lern is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Solar System Report
Old 03-17-2011, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We read Space, which is a Magic Treehouse Research Guide. Then students work in pairs to create a powerpoint presentation about one planet. They use the space book to get started and then at least one other book from our school library for note taking. It takes about three weeks to complete.

Here are some of the questions we answer. Not sure I remember them all. I am on Spring Break and can't look them up right now.

Where is your planet? How many miles from the sun? In what order from the sun? (third planet from the sun)

How large is your planet? (diameter)

Description of your planet- color- atmosphere- temperature- unique qualities

How many moons does your planet have?

How long is a day on this planet?
How long is a year on this planet?
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

salem

Old 03-17-2011, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My class is doing an individual report on a planet or other space feature (like stars, comets, etc.)

I put out all my solar system books, got some from our school library, and the public library. I randomly assigned each one a topic and gave them a sheet to keep all their facts on as they found them.

They work on the reports while I am doing guided reading and after they have finished whatever their seatwork is for that day.

Next week we end our earth/moon/sun unit and I will give them a large piece of construction paper. They will write some of the facts (size, place in the universe, whatever else I decide) at the bottom of the sheet and draw a large picture of their topic at the top.

My plan is to do a "museum walk" and hang these around the room. Then half of them walk around while the other half presents their topic, and then switch.

First time doing this, so I'm sure I'll tweak it next year (or can it!)

I've attached the sheet mine are using to do the reports. We have worked on these for the last 4 weeks, so if you have less time you might want to take some of it out. They know they might not find an answer to every question, but I am hoping in their reading they found most!

salem
Attached Files
File Type: doc Science Solar System Report Template2.doc (32.5 KB, 414 views)
salem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tcupteacher

great ideas
Old 03-17-2011, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My class is making a pop up book for their reports. They research each planet and take some notes on each one. I tell them they need 3 facts and one WOW fact for each planet. They also have to pick one other object in space to report on. This gives them 10 pages in the book.

I tell them they can write it like "Postcards from Pluto" like they are traveling to each planet or they can write it like a magic school bus book (I have some clip art from magic school bus they can use). Or they can do just a pop up book.

We also attach a string to the corner of the book and attach a rocket with them in the window (they can use a picture or draw a picture) Then they can use the rocket on each page as they read it like they are flying by that planet. I know it sounds silly but that is their favorite part. It's the little things that make them happy.

The great thing about this "report" is the kids are so motivated to do it that no one complains.

Good luck and have fun.
Tcupteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kkim4

PowerPoint
Old 03-18-2011, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

After doing lots of reading (we use this as our Non Fiction unit) my kids do a research/PowerPoint project on a space topic. Every student picks a different topic, researches using books first, then internet, then creates a PowerPoint presentation (which they had been learning in tech class). The kids then share these presentations as part of their student led conferences. It's a great way to end the conferences - always on a high note. This year we even used Garage Band to create background music for everyone's presentation!

kkim4 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2lern

Great Ideas!!
Old 03-19-2011, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You all have such great ideas. Thank you so much for sharing!

TxTeacher1974

Solar System Report
Old 03-19-2011, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Each year when we study the Solar System, I have my children research information on a particular planet or object in the solar system. Then, they have to work with a partner to create a rap, skit, conversation, etc. about that planet. They have to include at least 10 facts or important pieces of information about the planet. They also have to be creative. I usually send home a rubric so the parents know what is expected. I do not have one here, but I will try to find one to attach soon.

This year most of my students did a "Did you know...? about a planet they chose. They really enjoyed creating the presentations and the presentations turned out great.

Hope this helps!
TxTeacher1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

laurenta

Just finished Solar System
Old 03-20-2011, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

One other thing you can do besides the other great ideas mentioned is make edible Solar Systems! Give each child a paper plate and a toothpick (call it their "tool"). Put a "pallet" of white frosting on a paper plate to be shared among a group of four or five students. Start by discussing what goes in the center of the Solar System... the sun right? Tell students to place a dot of frosting int he middle of the plate using the tooth pick. Put a butterscotch candy on the frosting to represent the sun. Then instruct the kids to draw an orbit around the sun with their pencil. Ask the students which planet comes next.... Mercury right? Have them put a dallop of frosting on the orbit. Give them a candy (like nerds or something) to represent Mercury. Keep having them draw orbits and adding planets like this until they get to the astro belt (seperating inner and outer planets). Have the students make a trail of frosting circling the last orbit and add sugar sprinkles (blue or pink or any color really) to represent the astro belt. Then do the same method of adding orbits and planets until you are done with the outer planets. For Jupiter I always do something big like a whopper or if it's close to Easter you can get those Robin Eggs and add a red hot with frosting for the big red spot storm. For Saturn I use a peanut m & m with a gummy life saver wrapped around it. They look really cool! Enjoy.... the kids certainly will!
laurenta is offline   Reply With Quote

BillyCat

Space Tours
Old 03-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My class is currently in the middle of a study on the Solar system. I am having them work in groups to do research on a certain planet. They are working in groups of three, and are working for about 40 minutes each day for 2 weeks on planet research. I have gotten a ton of books from the library to help them, and they had a day to do research in the computer lab. They are working on making posters of what their planet is like (a drawing and facts). To present this, they are going to take the rest of the class on a "tour", where they would tell us about the climate, length of day, etc. In their study, they have also written letters from their planet to talk about a typical day there, and they have been using graphic organizers to track characteristics of planets. Their research is getting pretty in depth, and I think something like this could also lend itself to a written report.

Good luck with everything!
BillyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2lern

laurenta / everyone
Old 03-26-2011, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This sounds like so much fun. Thanks for sharing. You've all given me some great ideas to choose from. Thank you all so much!!!