Help!! I have tried just about everything... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Third Grade

Help!! I have tried just about everything...

>

ilovetoteach!

Help!! I have tried just about everything...
Old 10-26-2011, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Not only do I have an over talkative, hard to keep focused class, now they are being mean to each other!!!! Today I had them cut a heart out of paper, put their name on it and then crumple it up and stomp on it on the floor. Then I had them open the heart back up and told them to fix the paper back to the way it was before we crumpled it . After a few seconds I started hearing ... "you can't". This is when I pointed out that every time you say something hurtful, mean and ugly to someone else it leaves a scar on their heart. You could have heard a pin drop in my classroom!!! That feeling lasted until lunch and then everything went back to what it was before. I even taped my heart back on the board and all I heard them saying was "look, she put her crumpled heart back on the board" Sigh
I just don't have a clue as to what to do to get through to them!!!!! any ideas????

ilovetoteach! is offline   Reply With Quote

TxTeacher1974

Sorry to hear that.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My class seems very similar to yours this year. Someone is always saying mean things to someone else nearly every day. I wish I had the answer you were looking for.
TxTeacher1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Elmsprings

Old 10-26-2011, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe a compliment chain might help.....for a few days anyway!

I made mine from construction paper.....above it, I have this simple poem:

For every kind word I hear you say,
I will add a new link today!
When our chain hits the floor, oh boy!
Then a special treat, you'll get to enjoy!

You might also try a compliment/complaint box. Tell the class that if they want to complain about another student's action(s) then they must put it in writing and drop it in the box! Once the complaint is in the box, it belongs to you and they can no longer talk about it! In addition to that, tell them that for every complaint, they must also add a compliment about that person......

Good luck! Hang in there!
Elmsprings is offline   Reply With Quote

ilovetoteach!

Good idea!!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have set up a complaint or tattling type of box but I didnt think about the compliments.... I LOVE the poem too..... think I will give this a whirl.. I will keep you posted.... thanks
ilovetoteach! is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs.shiny

Great visual story of crumpled hearts....
Old 10-30-2011, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've also told the students about "outside" hurts and "inside" hurts. I ask them to raise their hand if they have ever fallen off their bike or gotten some other kind of a really bad sore. We talk about this for awhile. Especially talking how when we see the other person's sore and how it makes us feel bad for the person hurt. Then I talk about "inside" hurts. These are ones that come from hurtful words and actions to us. Other people can't "see" those hurts, but sometimes they hurt more than the "outside" hurts.

mrs.shiny is offline   Reply With Quote

kerilyn137

Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use "How Full is Your Bucket" and "Have You Filled a Bucket" to teach my kids about how their words and actions not only affect others, but also themselves. The books are available on amazon, and I know a bunch of people have put buckets up in their classrooms as a visual reminder of this idea. My kids add to their bucket whenever they add to someone else's bucket. They write down how they helped that person fill their bucket on a slip of paper, and then they get to add a pom- pom to both buckets. Helping and complimenting others makes everyone feel good! They learn to be bucket fillers rather than bucket dippers.
kerilyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote