Help

Third Grade

Departmentalization

>

TxTeacher1974

Departmentalization
Old 07-15-2013, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay...I need advice. I have taught for several years now, and for the first time next year, I have been asked to departmentalize (not to mention at a new school). I will be the ELAR/SS teacher and my partner will teach math/science. Since this is new to me, what advice can you give me? I am quite nervous about the situation, as I have always taught in a self0-contained classroom.

Please help!

TxTeacher1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 07-15-2013, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Make sure you & your teammate have the same expectations & procedures. If you don't, it could be a difficult year. You might want to color code folders etc. If your math book is blue then have a blue folder. Require students to put their full name on work. Our 4th grade teachers used crates to put class materials/notebooks in. One kid was in charge of carrying the tote. This saved a lot of time, you just have to train them. I'm sure others will give you better tips. Good Luck!
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

Mad4Math

Here are a few...
Old 07-16-2013, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I totally agree with previous poster's suggestions, but here are a few others-

*Check to make sure any larger projects like book reports or science fair projects are not due the same day or even the same week.
*Make a concentrated effort to check on homework level for each subject. We got blasted last year for giving too much homework, but with our students going to four different teachers each day, we didn't realize the overall load.
*Try to plan parent conferences as a team instead of doing individual ones for all students. Again, I had 75 students to teach and the conference load was overwhelming so if you can do a two-for-one, it's good.

Hang in there. I'm not a good one to give advice really, since I didn't enjoy being departmentalized at all last year. I will have to really try to revamp my attitude this year because after all, we're here for the kids.
Mad4Math is offline   Reply With Quote

mojo

More advice
Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with the previous posts. What you need to take care from the get go is the "little" details.
We did it for the first time last year. I teach reading and social studies. My partner math and science.

When do the kids switch? How? Example: mine exit through front doors while the other kids come in through the middle room. We color coded our classes as well. What do you do on early releases

They share a desk and that is a challenge. "He left a mess at my desk." It's not your desk. It's shared space.

It's all these logistics that need to be ironed out. Teaching two sets of kids is actually fun.

Good luck!
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote

TxTeacher1974

Thank you!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I appreciate all the wonderful advice.

TxTeacher1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Blessed216

Departmentalizing hints
Old 07-31-2013, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did this for 4 years! One big key is to make sure that there are consistent expectations and consequences and rewards between the two classes. My teammate and I had lots of group discussions with both classes lumped together. Also, make sure that BOTH of you share contact info with parents from both classes. That way, parents have a direct source for questions and concerns. Finally, keep the lines of communication open between the two of you for student issues. I had a student whose dog died the night before (she cried all through Rdg/Lang) and I sent her to Math without telling my teammate. It wasn't pretty.
Blessed216 is offline   Reply With Quote