Help

Third Grade

Inferences

>

aec85

Inferences
Old 10-09-2010, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any fun ideas on how to teach this skill? I am looking for something besides think alouds. I have reached some kids through that approach but am looking for a way to get to more of them. Thanks!

aec85 is offline   Reply With Quote

TxTeacher1974

Fun ideas for inference
Old 10-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have students make a detective's magnifying glass out of pipe cleaners. Then we embark on a clue finding activity while we read a passage or story. I have them look for clues and tell them that inferencing is like clue finding-what we know and clues from the author.

Also, I use emotions to demonstrate inference. I make up cards with all sorts of emotions on them. Each student gets a card and they have to act out the emotion. The others guess what it is based on the clues given.

Lastly, I have students write about a character's emotions (or setting of a story) without stating it exactly. They have to give clues. Then they can switch with a partner to see if their partner can infer.
TxTeacher1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rush

Old 10-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I introduced making inferences last week. I used insect cards that I had purchased(Target's dollar section) for one activity. Each student was given four cards and by looking at each picture had to make an inference. I had them to fold a plain piece of paper into four squares to record their answers. I used nursery rhymes for another activity to make inferences.

I also used the Inferences task cards that Unseen001 created.
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote

Stevenson2012

Inferences
Old 10-13-2010, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am a junior educaton major and the teacher I am with for my field placement recently taught this lesson. I thought her idea to introduce the skill was sooo good! Our reading time is right after specials, so she went and picked them up from specials and got them all settled back into the classroom. Then without saying another word she began packing her stuff up, turning off the projector, grabbing her keys, and pretending to leave. Of course the students were like what's going on? Then one student said good-bye and she acted like she was so shocked to hear them say good-bye. She said "Why would you say that? I didn't tell you I was leaving!" Then the students explained that since they saw her getting her things together and closing the room, they figured she was leaving because that is what she does when she leaves. She then said "Ah ha! You guys just made an inference." She then talked about what making an inference means, and used the story they were working on in their anthology to practice the skill.
Stevenson2012 is offline   Reply With Quote