Help

Third Grade

Social Studies is tough!!!

>

elmanges

Social Studies is tough!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My 3rd curriculum for Social Studies is Harcourt Brace. My students are very LOW this year. That and the Science books seem to be too difficult for them to read. They are getting so caught up in reading and pronouncing the words that they're not learning the content. Does anyone have any suggestions?

elmanges is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

Do you have to use the book?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you have some flexibility there, there are some easier to read social studies passages on various topics on Edhelper.com. A lot of them are under a series called "Wendy's World."
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

What are your units?
Old 10-16-2010, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We teach about community. I created my own lessons that relate to our community to teach about geography, resources, traditions.....

For our economics unit we read a couple of different novels where the theme is money. Shoeshine Girl and Max Malone Makes a Million are the titles. From the stories we discuss wants, needs, salary, earn, save, supply and demand. I also bought a book called Playdough Economics to help me teach this SS topic. They loved the hands on activities.

We also study communities past and present. We read Little House in the Big Woods and study how pioneer life was different from our lives to today. We hold a Pioneer Day where we dress as pioneers, square dance, weave a basket, make a corn husk doll, quilt a square and cook and eat Johnny Cakes.

We also teach government. This unit still needs work. We just read from the book, do some workbook pages and hold a mock election on Presidential election years. I have found a few good picture books to use, but not a good novel.

I also use a newspaper called Studies Weekly. It is designed to meet the state standards of your state. My students like it better than the text book. It is still challenging reading. You can request a sample copy if it looks good to you.

By using other resources we avoid the text book a great deal, because it is rather dry.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

TxTeacher1974

What state are you from?
Old 10-16-2010, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I live in Texas. I have seen the magazine before, but for fourth grade.
TxTeacher1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

elmanges

In PA
Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am in PA.

elmanges

Studies Weekly
Old 10-16-2010, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have seen this online and thought it looked good and I love that it matches perfectly with our standards. The problem is I get no budget whatsoever so I'd have to purchase it myself. I'm trying to decide right now if it's worth the money.

1956BD

I Love Studies Weekly
Old 10-16-2010, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have used it in fourth grade and third. It usually has 7 articles. The back page is usually a crossword puzzle that covers SS vocabulary from the articles. Then there is usually a map or graphic organizer activity.

I read this as a shared reading lesson at the beginning of the year and we do the activities together. Then we do the reading together, but I let them work together to complete the activities. Then finally I allow them to read and do activities without my guidance. We usually discuss at least one of the articles.

I also make my own quiz for some editions. I mostly do this because some students insist on skipping the reading and just doing the activity on back and guessing the answers. I find when I give a quiz once in a while they go back to doing the reading as they should.

I feel like the paper is worth the $ and it makes me a better SS teacher. The paper also helps with non fiction reading skills.

You might be able to order one paper for every two students. They could share and work on the activities together. I ask each parent to pay $5.50. This year I had 15 out of 20 students who paid.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

beagles2

ss
Old 10-17-2010, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also supplement our ss book with other materials and trade books like others here have mentioned. Just reading and 'learning' from the text turns a lot of kids off to social studies - many of mine have said it's their least favorite subject when they enter 3rd grade. That's sad!

Usually when we do read from the book I read it to the kids who follow along in their books. I supplement with a lot of my own information and little facts to make it more interesting. Throughout my reading I'll stop and ask them to fill in the next word, read a caption aloud for the class, or do something else that shows they're following along and paying attention. We also have lots of discussion and the kids get to share their own personal stories if they go along with the topic for the day. I make up little 5 question quizzes that go along with what we're doing just to make sure we're still on track.

In short, just using the text provided isn't going to cut it - it needs tweaking to be effective.

Good luck!
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kimsseven

Old 10-17-2010, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We dont use that series but when I was looking to see what your books look like I found their website. It is fabulous. I am going to use it myself. I cannot post a link on here but if you google it you will find it. I would supplement some of their lessons with their website and put it up on a smartboard if you have one.
kimsseven is offline   Reply With Quote