Third Grade

Daily Vocabulary Ideas

>

beanynpezer

Daily Vocabulary Ideas
Old 08-28-2011, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Dear Fellow PTers

I attended a workshop where the speaker insisted that poor reading scores are the result (somewhat) of a student's vocabulary knowledge.

I am asking for help with any ideas that you utilize with results in you class that involve giving the children a word of the day where they copy the word and define it. I also want them to keep this "glossary" in some organized format.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much!

beanynpezer is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachFun

Vocab
Old 08-28-2011, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not quite what you're asking for, but we do Vocabulary Squares with our weekly vocab words.
Divide paper in quarters with a + (I use a spiral notebook).
First quarter - write the word neatly
2nd quarter - write synonyms for the word
3rd quarter - write antonyms
4th quarter - illustrate

Because of our population, I did these all whole group last year. This year I hope to have the kids do more in cooperative small groups.
TeachFun is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Vocabulary and Spelling City
Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

dot com is great! Check it out. You can enter your own word list and the students love the online games. Many options are free if you do not want to pay for the the more inclusive version.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

wolfpack

Word A Day
Old 08-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I watched a teaching video on a web site where a teacher introduces The Word of the Day and for the remainder of the day it is their "signal word". Forexample, instead of using the word "go" to transition from one activity to another, she uses the "new" word of the day. She models and challenges the students to use it in their day. I plan to use this as part of my management system. I also watched another video.....lots of time today.....where a teacher trys to use what she calls "college words" with her students. Instead of "Stop talking" she says "Stop socializing" .... Think of the everyday words that we use and see if you can substitute them with "college" words instead. The students will soon learn how use context clues as to the meaning of these words. the web site is "teaching" then "channel" dot "org"
wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote

acheese89

Old 08-28-2011, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

All great ideas. My school has adopted the Harcourt series, which comes with a list of 10 vocabulary words for each week. A couple years ago I created flash cards for each word with the word written on one side and an image (I just googled images) on the other side (for example, "glorious" on one side and a bright sunny day on the other side). We practice with them Monday-Thursday (only takes about 10 minutes), and then the entire year's words are posted on the cupboard doors to use with review activities and for writing lessons.

Day one - I introduce the words by showing the images on the cards under the document camera. The students first try to guess the word, then I give hints, and if they still don't get the word I finally give it to them. I use a lot of examples (and non examples....it would NOT be a glorious day if it rained, I slipped on the ground, and hurt my back, for example). We post the written word (on sentence strips) in a pocket chart.

Day two-three - I use a power point to discuss several key concepts during each week's reading lesson, and I have included slides that review the vocabulary words with examples, photos, and sometimes animated gif images.

Day four - We play a little game with the flash cards. I hold one of our cards over a student's (the guesser's) head and the others in the room have to give the guesser hints to figure out what word is over them. I encourage them not to look at the words in the pocket chart until they have had several hints from classmates.

I also reward students for using vocabulary words in their speaking and writing (even in their journals). It is almost a competition to see who can learn the vocab words best.

acheese89 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

For variety
Old 08-28-2011, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

you could have them do a cut and paste at times, rather than writing the word and defining it.

I make word cards and definition cards for the kids. Then they paste them into correct pairs in their vocab spirals. This become their study guide for the week.

Then I make a few extra copies of the cards and the students mix them up and match them together for practice. They can check their answers with their own spirals. They can even play concentration with them by starting with the cards face down.

I also use a free crossword puzzle site online to make crosswords for practice. The definitions from the cards are the clues. I use Discovery Education. They call it a crisscross instead of a crossword.

I also have my students write their own sentences. We share them out loud the next day and discuss.

My test is fill in the blank sentences with a word bank.

This is my first year to focus this heavily on vocab, so I am no expert. I am sure I will make many changes after learning from my mistakes this year.

Attached is a copy of the word card, just to give you an idea. They are nothing fancy.
Attached Files
File Type: doc First Day & Chry Cards.doc (34.5 KB, 193 views)

1956BD

Game called Swat
Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I found this on PT. Then I found a Swat game on sale at Really Good Stuff online for $5.99
Attached Files
File Type: doc SWATDirections.doc (26.5 KB, 161 views)

Nicki1127

Cartoon
Old 08-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There is a book called the Vocabulary Cartoon of the Day. My students begin coming in at 9:00 and we are supposed to start our literacy block at 9:10, so I don't have time for "morning work" Instead I copy the Cartoon of the day and white out the vocabulary word. Students try to figure out what the word is(using context clues, the picture, and the definition) by 9:10 then we go over it and I try to start using it in my everyday language. Kids love it and are already using the new words! They go in ABC order so some students even get out dictionaries to try to find it. I did start giving incentives if students figure it out because I want them trying and not waiting until we go over it. Just an idea
Nicki1127 is offline   Reply With Quote

sweetloreley7

Interactive Notebooks
Old 09-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

At my school we have implemented interactive notebooks this year. The students create a glossary in the back of the notebook where they write the word, write their own definition after hearing the one you give and putting it into their own words, and then draw a picture.
sweetloreley7 is offline   Reply With Quote

iluv3rd

We use this
Old 09-01-2011, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

and fill it in over the week.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf vocabulary_notebook_sheet3.pdf (223.2 KB, 175 views)
iluv3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

TxTeacher1974

Check out Marzano's 6 steps
Old 09-01-2011, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Marzano suggests that there are 6 very important steps to acquiring and retaining vocabulary terms. I can not seem to copy and paste the website, but google it and you will get more directions on how to implement it.

Hope this helps.
TxTeacher1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

SunDevilMom

Word Day Wednesday
Old 09-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I bought name badges at Staples....have a blank template on computer where I can print out weekly vocabulary words (according to our story of the week)...each student wears their their "Word Day Wednesday" vocabulary word all day. They must become an expert on their word. Teachers/staff know the reason they are wearing it and when they see them walking by, have them in specials, etc., they ask them to talk about their word. We also do activities in the classroom where they have to talk to each other about their words. They really seem to enjoy our Wednesdays!
SunDevilMom is offline   Reply With Quote