Daily 5/CAFE Common Core Balancing Act-PLEASE HELP!! :) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Daily 5

Daily 5/CAFE Common Core Balancing Act-PLEASE HELP!! :)

>

reach_teach3

Daily 5/CAFE Common Core Balancing Act-PLEASE HELP!! :)
Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last school year, I fully launched the Daily 5 in my 2nd grade classroom. I also did RW using Debbie Miller as a guideline. I am now reading the CAFE book and I'm still towards the beginning. For those who have read/implemented it, am I correct in my understanding that the CAFE is a guide to assessing and instructing during your small groups (i.e. guided reading groups)?

I am trying to figure out how to balance some things: Daily 5, CAFE (possibly), Common Core Units, and Debbie Miller. I know it sounds a little insane but I'm trying to figure all of this out.

In talking to a former colleague, we agreed that the kids need to learn the strategies taught through Debbie Miller (Reading With Meaning). However, would/couldn't these same strategies be taught through guided strategy groups (CAFE)? She mentioned my whole group instruction focusing on the Common Core Units of Study but infusing Debbie Miller's strategies into my instruction during the teaching of this unit.

I don't want this to get too long but I'm hoping some of you insightful folks can help me. To summarize, I just want to know if anyone has found success balancing these things out and how does it look in your classroom? Thanks in advance!!

reach_teach3 is offline   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

cafe
Old 07-04-2013, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As I've used cafe, I teach the strategies during my whole group mini lessons. If you join the sisters' website they have cafe menus that tightly align with common core. I personally feel that all good strategy instruction aligns with common core because kids need to use independently to read well.

The parts of cafe that works with the strategy groups is how they use the touchpoints to assess if kids are using strategies independently in their reading.

I think putting it together means using the variety of resources that you've found and integrating them as they best meet the needs of the kids in your class.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mmw

My subscription
Old 07-06-2013, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

ran out but I was still able to get the CAFE menu with the common core standards aligned to it...it is very helpful and covers all of the 2nd grade standards.
mmw is offline   Reply With Quote

ginadoo

Old 07-08-2013, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Reach_Teach you asked?
"Am I correct in my understanding that the CAFE is a guide to assessing and instructing during your small groups (i.e. guided reading groups)?"

I say YES! I feel that my first grade team does exactly what you are talking about. We use Debbie Miller, Kathy Collins, Tanny McGregor and Lucy Calkins to get ideas for mini lessons during our daily5/workshop/cafe. I read Pathways to the Common Core by Lucy Calkins and sighed a breath of relief feeling we were on the right track with common core. So my schedule has a workshop with 3 mini lessons (if I'm focused on on time). The first mini lesson is a comprehension or accuracy lesson with the whole group. Then all read to self while I work with kids. The second is a phonics or phonemic awareness lesson and all choose (daily 5 choices) while I work with a group, usually word study. The third mini lesson is usually a shared reading lesson with a focus on fluency or vocabulary. Then the kids choose again and I work with kids.

I'll attach our first grade year plan. I might be able to get a similar plan our second grade teachers made up. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Curriculum Plan for Reading Workshop.pdf (134.6 KB, 495 views)
ginadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

reach_teach3

Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the responses!! That first grade curriculum plan was really good. Since I am kind of the first to "pilot" these types of things in my school, I just need a "visual" as to how it looks altogether and how to balance everything. I'm still trying to figure out fitting in these extensive common core units but I'm moving closer to understanding how it could all look.

reach_teach3 is offline   Reply With Quote

msnewteacher2

New to 2nd and CAFE
Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi ginadoo, I read your post about using CAFE strategies with/in Reading workshop. The attachment is a great visual tool and I was wondering if you were able to post an attachment from your 2nd grade.
msnewteacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

ginadoo, I would love to see a 2nd grade plan too if you happen to have it!
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

teachhaines

2nd grade plan
Old 08-08-2013, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Ginadoo I would love to see the 2nd grade plan please
teachhaines is offline   Reply With Quote

kidzreading

???- Kinder plan
Old 08-11-2013, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi- would you be willing to share a plan for kindergarten too? Thanks so much
kidzreading is offline   Reply With Quote

gocards

This is great!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Would you be able to share the second grade plans? This is so wonderful!

gocards is offline   Reply With Quote

afirst11

Old 07-16-2014, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ginadoo-do you have a 3rd grade plan?
afirst11 is offline   Reply With Quote