Primary Grades (K-2)

New ipads for classroom

>

Educate58

New ipads for classroom
Old 07-28-2015, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Everyone,
I attended a workshop and we received four new ipads for our first grade classrooms. I would enjoy some input as to how you use your ipads in the classrooms.

Educate58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-28-2015, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Up until this year I've only had two, so didn't use them very consistently. This year we are getting 5 or 6 more so I plan to use them for small groups as well as a station during math workshop. I also hope to use them for digital publishing during writer's workshop at the end of the year.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

My reply to another post on another board. .
Old 07-28-2015, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check out Front Row Math (do a quick Google search and it should come up). Great math site & app that allows kids to take diagnostic test on each standard domain and places them where they are. I like that it is very differentiated! You can have a student at a Kinder level, another at 3rd grade level and another at 6th grade level ~ they all work where they are developmentally ready. Best yet, it is FREE!! Just create teacher account online and set your kids up. This may be a little more difficult for your group as they wouldn't be on it consistent enough; however, it could work as each kid could get to it about once a week on a rotation.

Padlet is an online tool that allows collaboration. I use it to put up a random question of day and kids type on their iPads to respond. I display my computer screen on the whiteboard at times and they can see what others are saying. Great for characterization of a book you've read. We put traits of our character in the heading and in the text box type out the evidence. Once you crate a new padlet, you can send the link out to the kids via messaging or e-mail. You could use this as a group work project ~ each group has an iPad and they work together to come up with responses.

QR Codes are GREAT! I've found some amazing examples of QR Code hunts on Teachers Pay Teachers. Kids LOVE them! You post the QR codes around the room and the students start on the 1st one and solve problems to lead them to the next code. They are a lot of fun! Codes can also be used to take students to a read aloud you want them to respond to or a website you want them to do research from.

Reading Fluency ~ students can record themselves reading a passage. They can then listen to it and decide if it is the best they could read. If they don't like it, they can erase and rerecord it. E-mail it to the teacher to review and pass on to parents. Great for monitoring growth throughout the year.

Puppet Pals is a great app for students to create a puppet show. They create the dialogue and then record it using the app. They can show scenery and movement. I even like this for giving a book review or introducing vocabulary.
TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

lovelife07

Old 07-30-2015, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for the suggestions! We're getting 4-5 iPads each, too. Now I have a starting point.
lovelife07 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Tip 1
Old 07-30-2015, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here is a simple tip for when you have to share a few iPads with the whole class.

I have one app called Write My Name where you have to add each student's name. They click on their name and can practice tracing their name. I didn't want to have to add all the names on each iPad so I divided the list and put some on each iPad. To make it easier for students to find the iPad with their name, I had a different screen display on each iPad. Since I teach K, I kept it simple and just used color. I took a picture of a solid colored piece of construction paper and displayed that on the screen.

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Tip 2
Old 07-30-2015, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When you only have a few iPads to store, you can use a wire dish drainer. It needs to be the wire one so if the iPad case is thick, you can spread the wire slots a little bit more apart. You can store individual screen wipes or microcloths in the silverware drainer for convenient cleaning or just remove the silverware drainer.

I have all the chargers plugged into a surge protector. After I unplug the iPads from the chargers, I drape the cords over the side. One colleague has the cords attached to the side so they don't fall on the floor and get stepped on.

*I don't have my students plug/unplug the cords. The iPads hold their charges for several days. I find that the charger cords are fragile and can fray from overzealous little ones trying to plug/unplug them.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

iteachk2010

Another Way to Store
Old 07-30-2015, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You can also use a wire step folder organizer to store your iPads.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

mmw

Thanks, teachnut!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Another app to try is spelling city..it is actually a website and an app. There is a paid version but the free version is excellent especially for word work!
mmw is offline   Reply With Quote