Help

Retired Teachers

Family history

>

twinsister

Family history
Old 09-14-2017, 12:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My family recently had a family reunion with 2nd and 3rd generations of cousins on my dad's side. Every family brought an updated list of birthdays, marriages, children, deaths etc. Dad had compiled the family history back to the early 1800's so we already have a strong foundation.

I want to type everything into a book and even include photographs. What is the best source for this activity? I am willing to pay for a program but do not want to break the bank.

Thanks!

twinsister is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Old 09-14-2017, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would recommend looking at some books on how to write your family history. Get these from your library.

You can make family tree charts and download them into a book. I have done this with most of my ancestors and my DH's. I used Microsoft word, wrote out their stories so that it wasn't just cold names and dates, and then embedded the photos and saved scans of things like the immigration records, census, passenger lists, etc.

After that was all done, I saved it as a PDF and then uploaded it to Createspace on Amazon. That is their self-publishing company. It costs NOTHING to do this, but of course, costs $ to buy your own book. I then put my books on Amazon so that other relatives can have a copy for a very low price.

Here are the basic steps:
Make tree charts
write the stories
insert photos and documents
Revise and edit
Save doc as a PDF
Create an author's account on Createspace
upload your book
Design a cover with a great family photo (easy)
Send it to Amazon and they edit it for formatting issues
Approve it and you are an author!

Private message me and I'll send you a link to my author page on Amazon so that you can get an idea of what they look like. I taught a few classes on how to do this.

Doing this is important for everyone. Think about the recent hurricanes and how people lost so many valuables. If you put these books on Amazon, you would always be able to retrieve family photos!
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

family histories
Old 09-14-2017, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've done it a bit differently than Connie. I made up my own template and used it on all the families I've researched. I'm going to try and attach an example. The only thing different is that on the pages that I don't prepare for family members, I have listed a bit more such as where each child in the household was born and sources for where I got the information.

I found the photographs mostly on ancestry.com. I had some of them in my possession. For the other photographs, I would search on line for places that were associated with the ancestor.

I like having the graphic for each family at the beginning of a section. My son said it makes it easier to understand.

I have it all on a word doc along with a table that I made at the beginning of the doc that shows how each family is related to the other. I can try to send that, too, if you want. It has certain family members highlighted to show me that I'm still working on that line.

I didn't include my son and my husband in what I gave to family members. I included their grandmother and went back from there.

I sent several flash drives of everything including my research notes to my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. My son and stepson just get sections of the big book because they have a life. They like it in small doses, so one family name at a time for them.

My side of the family have it in sections that I put together according to places. For example, I have a lot of ancestors from Mt. Desert, Maine, so I put together a booklet of ancestor's stories that are from that place, printed it and bound it, and we keep it at our family camp in Maine. A cousin from that side of the family has it all on one flash drive.

I made a wedding gift for my niece that has stories from her ancestry and her new husband's ancestry. They loved the gift and I had to give a flash drive of all the info to her new inlaws.

Let's see if this file attaches.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Trying again
Old 09-14-2017, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It was too long the first time.

I just went in to see how it posted and of course it looks different from my copy. The arrows and boxes that show the family line on the first page are scattered out on the copy I sent you.

And the pictures I found are all a lot bigger. They look like pages in a book with illustrations. But perhaps you get the idea of how I did it anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Sample of family history.docx (654.6 KB, 22 views)
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

twinsister

Thank you!
Old 09-14-2017, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Connieg and timeforbed, Thank you so much for your detailed directions. I really appreciate the time that you took to write that all down for me. My brother is going to help me with this project. It looks like we are going to be very busy this winter! Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

twinsister is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Old 09-14-2017, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

BTW- The lovely books I have published on the family only cost about $13 for about a hundred page full-color book that looks great. Much cheaper than taking it to a printer. The proof copies you are entitled to cost about $5 but you can only purchase five.

I decided this is my next article for my website: the importance of digital family histories- think about the loss in the hurricane! If you make just one copy for yourself and it gets destroyed, that's it. If you publish it, you can always buy another copy! I bet there are lots of people in Houston and FL who wish they had done that!
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My dad's side of the family has a book that I haven't read. My mom's side is working on one.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote