Help

Retired Teachers

Question of the week

>

1959mm

Question of the week
Old 09-21-2017, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Twins... Anyone a twin? Did anyone have some interesting twins in their class over the years? What memorable names do you remember? Share a memory or two!

1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

jmb

Old 09-21-2017, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can have had 2 sets a of twins in my class. One set of identical twins named Cindy/Sandy and the other was Mindy/Mandy. I don't why parents named twins with rhyming names though I don't think it is as common anymore.
My first year of teaching I had a set of triplets, 2 boys and a girl named Michael, Michelle and George. I remember George telling me he was named after an uncle.
jmb is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Twins
Old 09-21-2017, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not a twin, but have taught quite a few. In kinder I had a set of mirror twins. They were identical and mom dressed them alike, sometimes same shirts, different colors. She was annoyed that I always mixed them up. I seriously couldn't tell them apart unless they were standing next to each other, even then it was tough. She told me "But it's easy. Johnny has a slightly softer face than Tommy."

Another year we had three sets of twins at our grade level and a total of 8 sets at that level throughout our small district.

We currently have a set of triplets: 2 girls and 1 boy. Mom always puts one of the girls in the same class as the boy "because he needs a keeper"! She was right! She promised to split them all up next year.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 09-21-2017, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My grandmother was a twin. Her twin brother died at birth. Their names were Emma & Dominic. She also had twin brothers named Elmer & Alfred. Great grandmother also miscarried a set of twins. No one in our family has had twins since.

One year there were three sets of twins in our grade level. I had one from each set. Boys: Brian/ Bruce Brock/Drake
Girls Angela/Amy.

I think twins are very interesting.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 09-21-2017, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No twins in my family, but I have had quite a few in my class.

The very first class I ever taught, Form 1 in Ghana, had 3 sets of identical twins in a class of 30 students. Twinning is more common there. When I looked at the class list, one set of twins was listed as Panyin Quaidoo and Kakra Quaidoo, in that order. I asked the secretary if it was an error, since all other students were listed in alphabetical order.

Nope: "Panyin" means "first born twin", and "Kakra" is the second born...so the order was perfectly logical!

I have had a few identical twins, and at the high school level there is plenty of room for high jinks based on mistaken identity! Fortunately, most of them were very sweet kids who would never do anything wrong.

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Old 09-21-2017, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No twins in my family.
30 years ago I taught a set of twins named Tom and Jerry. The only way to tell them apart was one had a mole on his neck.

About 8 years ago our school had three sets of twins in one grade!
cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-21-2017, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

No twins in my family.

Lots of student twins over the years. My first year teaching where all kids were Hispanic, I had boy/girl fraternal twins with a common last name and I didn't realize for months they were gemelos. They were Reyna and Manuel.

At my last school, more middle class, we tried to take parents' advice but generally split twins into separate classes. I was teaching 3rd grade when I had Pete, the younger brother of a former student, and my dear friend had his fraternal twin, Nick. They did not look alike. I was moved to 5th grade as their class moved to 5th. I asked to have Pete again and he was assigned to me. The nasty nasty principal called me into the office and told me Pete's mother didn't want him in my class. I was devastated. Then....the twins were switched classes and I was assigned Nick. I went right to the nasty nasty principal and said this was not a good idea (we had 3 fifth grades, so another class was available) since the mom didn't want her kid in my class (after I'd had 2 of her kids--imagine how I felt for the 3 days it took to resolve this mess). The principal was forced to admit the truth. Actually, the mom thought it wasn't fair for Pete to have me twice and Nick not at all; she wanted all 3 boys in my class. The next year, the nasty nasty principal was asked to leave. And I recently heard from Nick and Pete because they're starting at my alma mater, UCLA, this year.

Last edited by amiga13; 09-21-2017 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: Wow, it was hard to tell twin stories without being confusing.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 09-21-2017, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had a set of boy/girl twins one year (2nd grade). Several students did not believe they were actually twins because one was a boy and one was a girl, and besides that, they didn't really look alike. Many arguments among them that year, .
I went to school with identical twins that I never could tell apart. In high school one was better in Math and one in English/Lit. classes. You can guess what happened on some pop quiz and test days. When they dressed alike we knew there was a test somewhere.
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

twins
Old 09-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have had four sets of twins in my teaching career. One set of twins was quite unique because they were born 2 months apart. Apparently one was born prematurely while the doctors decided that the other one should go full term. They did not resemble each other at all, and if I hadn't known their history I would never even have guessed they were related. The premature twin had a learning disability which may have been due to the early trauma.

DH and his older brother are what my MIL calls Irish twins. They are 10 months apart and when they were in elementary school they looked so identical that teachers would often confuse them. Now they don't look like each other at all. DH is 6'3", lean and balding, his brother 5'10", overweight with a full head of hair.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 09-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I can't remember all the twins I have had in my class. We don't have twins in our family. They did think my second son was twins because I got big so fast.

crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

twinsister

Old 09-21-2017, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yes, I am so blessed to have a twin sister. We were the youngest in our family. Our oldest sister was 16 and there were 4 boys after her. 7 years after my parents had our youngest brother, we came along. Our dad was 52 and mom was 38. We grew up as best friends and 60 years later we can still say the same thing. We are not identical and we have many different interests. But we love the times we are together.

My husband also has a twin sister. As of yet, we do not have any twins in our family.

I had several sets of twins while I was teaching.
twinsister is offline   Reply With Quote

readbooks

Small town
Old 09-21-2017, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

In our small town we only have one class of each grade. About three years ago my class of eighteen had two sets of boy girl twins.
readbooks is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

RE:Twins
Old 09-21-2017, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Early on in my career I had twin boys. They were not identical. I enjoyed having them and felt for their mother who had three lively boys. She was a physical therapist and offered to teach PE for our small school. She did an amazing job and was spot on for development.

No twins in my family, but my son dated identical twins.
Before cell phones, videos chats, etc. it was easy for them to yank his chain. They would switch off for dates. Needless to say it wasn't a long term relationship(s).
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

1959mm

Old 09-21-2017, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

No twins in my family, but had lots of twins at school. Our school had a policy of separating them, so I only had one at a time. I switched schools a few years ago and the parents requested that the twins not be separated, so I did have both girls at the same time. They were very good not to tattle on each other and were excellent students. When it came to the EOGS, they made the exact same score, which was quite unusual. Mom said she was going to separate them the next year, but of course they were together again.

Interesting names: Unique and Monique, Terra and Kerra, Marie and Maria
1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-21-2017, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I think my coolest story about a class involving twins was when I was in 3rd and 4th grades. One year I had one sister, and the next year, the other in my class. I remembered them well because we didn't see identical twins very often and the family also did business with my dad who owned a service station on our beachside. We also knew they were the 6th and 7th children of 8. Fast forward to about 25 years later. One day on the playground, watching my class with a very dear friend/co-worker we got to talking about our families. She mentioned 8 kids in the family, 2 sisters who were twins. That night it hit me, so I went to an album and pulled out my class pics from those grades. I took the pic the next day and....yep, they were my friend's sisters! I still see my friend a lot and the twins from time to time around town, but still cannot tell them apart!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

No twins in our family, but I recently found out that a former colleague and his wife are expecting twins! They have two boys and she convinced him to have one more-- looks like it'll be a twofer
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

DodgersFan

I Had Forgotten!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I had triplets one year and could NOT tell them apart (except the boy, thank goodness).
DodgersFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 09-22-2017, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We have no twins in our family, but my son seems to be attracted to women who are a twin. He dated three girls in his teens and twenties who were all a twin. You guessed it- his now wife is a twin!

I have had lots of twins in my classroom. One funny story was when I had identical twin boys in my fifth grade class- Dylan and Dawson. I could tell them apart when they were close up- one had a small mole on his face. The other didn't. But across the room or further, I had no idea. I tried to memorize what they had on each day- though they dressed very similarly. I used to ask their best friend in my class which one was which when I needed to get their attention from a distance. He always knew. I mentioned to their parents at conferences that I knew them apart when they were close to me, but not from a distance, did they have any hints for me? They told me not to worry about it- they couldn't tell them apart from a distance either!
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote