Help

Retired Teachers

Fall festivals

>

readbooks

Fall festivals
Old 09-30-2017, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Tell some of the fall customs in your area.

We are going to a family event tonight at DSILs house. It a booya. Booya is a soup, stew that is made in a huge cauldron. This is an outdoor event for all ages held every fall. There is a huge bonfire, a keg, and 100 or more people ranging from family, neighbors, friends. We rushed back to our second state so we wouldn't miss it. DH'S sister is battleing cancer and not doing well so we don't know how many more Booya she will have.

readbooks is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Fall
Old 09-30-2017, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In Texas fall is all about football. I am not a football fan so I that is all I will say about that.

The Texas State Fair is held in Dallas every fall. I used to go as a child since my grandparents lived in Big D. It is great fun! They have crazy foods that are delicious and sold from food trucks. For example how about a deep fried Snickers bar? I love the corn dogs and roasted corn on the cob.

Most elementary schools have a fall carnival as a money maker. The kids have a blast at these family outings and the school receives much needed funds.

Trunk or Treat is a new fall tradition around Halloween. Many churches do this as a safer choice over tick or treating. It is fun for the participants as well as the kids. You decorate your car and give candy to the little ones.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 09-30-2017, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hay rides, cookouts, and browsing fall leaves here in IN. Colors won't be as vivid this year as it's been too dry.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 09-30-2017, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Funny you should ask...I just spent the day at the Harvest Festival at the Shaker Museum where I work. Hay rides, cider making, pennies in a haystack, butter and ice cream making, garden crafts (potpourri, herbal wreaths, etc), craft demonstrations (spinning, weaving, basket making, rug hooking, broom making), crafts for kids (kites, fairy houses, crowns & masks, pine cone bird feeders, fuzzy sheep)...you get the idea!

Pumpkin carving festivals and corn mazes are also popular. Mostly fall festivals have an agricultural feel here in NH.

We are having a cider festival in a couple of weeks...both sweet and "hard" cider.

And then, the Haunted Woods! (Just a little fun at Halloween time).
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 09-30-2017, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well, Oktoberfest is coming up soon.

GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote

DodgersFan

Gastfreundschaft!
Old 09-30-2017, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes! Oktoberfest as well as 500 year anniversary of the Reformation. Woo-hoo, fellow Lutherans!
DodgersFan is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 10-01-2017, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have our county fair for the next 10 days - always fun. Also, every weekend there is one church or another having a craft fair, so there's always something to do.
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

lots2do

It's Fair time!
Old 10-03-2017, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There's a very popular Fair happening this week near us. Apple picking is popular. The ski mountain right across from our lake is running the chair lifts up to the top for leaf peeping. Lots and lots of tour busses around full of leaf peepers.
I loved your description of booya! Sounds like a lot of fun! Best wishes to your sister-in-law, that does make things poignant.
lots2do is offline   Reply With Quote