Retired Teachers

Do you remember too...

>

readbooks

Do you remember too...
Old 09-13-2017, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Favorite fall memory.

When I was in first grade we lived in Vermont. Several times during the fall we would take a ride out to a local apple orchard. We would go to the pick your self section. After we had a bag or to to take home we then went inside to watch them making apple juice and purchase some of that to take home as well.

readbooks is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Ohio Childhood
Old 09-13-2017, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My mom used to give me One a Day multiple vitamins. I couldn't swallow pills so I would bury them in the snow on my way to school. I had to do it quickly and well because my 2 year older brother always followed after me and wouldn't hesitate to rat me out!! I don't remember what I did in the summer. I also remember that every Sunday after church we'd go to the bakery and we could each pick out one treat. I always picked the iced fudge brownie. It was the simple things - just as it still is!
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 09-13-2017, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Apple picking and cider making were a big thing where I grew up in MI in the fall. We lived across the street from a farm and often hired out to the farmer to help with getting in hay and picking apples.

I also remember creating huge leaf piles and jumping in them! We could spend hours doing that...not sure it was a very effective lawn clean-up technique, but we sure had fun!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 09-13-2017, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Favorite fall memories from childhood...

Having family picnics in the town park. It was less than a mile away but we rarely went there, and I only remember picnicking there in the fall. Family photos show the golden leaves in the background and the warm golden glow from the evening sun.

Jumping in piles of leaves, wheeee! Having to rake them back up, sigh.....

Going with friends to their extended family's farm, where we went on a hay ride and also stood on the tractor right next to the driver where we jounced and bounced all around the fields, holding on for dear life and laughing and loving every bit of the thrill.
GlacierRose is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 09-13-2017, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Favorite Fall memories as a kid include:

Raking leaves with my siblings and jumping in them
Carving pumpkins
Trick or Treating

Favorite Fall memories as an adult include:

Fall festivals when I lived in New England
Afternoons at Walden Pond
Camping with my DH and dogs

Fall has always been my favorite season.

ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Fall Memories
Old 09-13-2017, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My favorite fall memory is going out Trick or Treating in the snow...We lived in Caribou, Maine..
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

fall memories
Old 09-13-2017, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

going to the bakery and being allowed to buy caramel apples

'Spreads' before high school football games-girl only parties with foods like Sloppy Joes, Fritos, Dips, Brownies, and Pop. If the home was close enough to stadium we'd walk and cheer all the way.

Homecoming Parade each class made a float built in one of the old barns surround our suburb. HS band would play and the Home Coming King and Queen rode in a convertible. Football players were on a hay wagon. Our town turned out to root the Golden Bears.

Window Painting Contest: School groups would submit drawings and then the best one's would be chosen to paint the business windows around town with fall scenes. We used lots of tempra paint.

Football ruled our fall. Going to Ohio State Football games with my dad were always so special. Loved the band!!! Hearing it play on TV makes me miss my dad.

Marrying the love of my life on October 19th.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Fall memories
Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I lived in NY State until the age of eight. I remember the beautiful maple leaves that I would collect and keep a few days just to look closely at their perfection and gorgeous colors. Then we moved out West to an area where fall is much more subtle and harder to see. So glad I have those earlier memories of autumn.
Ruby tunes is online now   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 09-13-2017, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We always took a family drive on Sundays. We often looked for bittersweet. If we found any, she would use them for fall decorations. The stores didn't sell seasonal items like they do today.

Then we'd head to the apple orchard. We enjoyed a small free glass of cider & a free apple. Our family didn't have much money,but we did pick our own apples. Mom made pies, apple salad, & applesauce.

We also didn't have many clothes. It was a real treat when you got a new sweater. My mom & aunt bought a bolt of paisley corduroy & all the girls had slacks & vests.

Everybody in our little town raked & burned their leaves. Amazingly no one was sick.

I love everything autumn.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 09-13-2017, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Halloween! Our small town always had plenty of popcorn balls!!!

blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinsister

Fun question!
Old 09-13-2017, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My twin sister and I were the youngest in the family. Our 3 brothers and dad would have to pick the field corn every fall after the first frost. We were allowed to ride in wagon behind the corn picker. I loved watching the ears of corn dropping in a big pile. Our job was to throw the corn cobs in the corners of the wagon and distribute the pile as it grew. It was just fun being part of the day with them. I still love being with my 3 brothers. They are now 76, 74, and 66 and I will turn 60 in October. So many wonderful memories!
twinsister is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

Fave fall memory:
Old 09-13-2017, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I remember the Trick or Treat night when my younger sister went along on our excursions to the neighborhood houses for loot. She was about 4, I think. She was wearing one of my mom's old skirts as part of her "gypsy" costume. I think I was a witch, but I forget what my brother's costume was. Anyway, one of the houses had a long set of cement steps and a small square stoop. As the door opened after our ringing the doorbell, my little sister fell off the stoop into the bushes!!! She didn't get hurt much, but my mother ran all the way from the car where she had been waiting and watching as we approached the door, and fished her out of the bushes and brushed her off. The neighbor lady was also pretty freaked out about it and made us bring her into the light so we could all check her over to be sure she was okay. We all still enjoy this story and laugh over it.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-13-2017, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My favorite fall memory is Thanksgiving of 2002! My now BFF who lives in MN and I had met online 2 years earlier and developed a very close relationship via emails and phone calls. We had so much in common. She told me that she, her DH and their DD were coming to FL to go to Disney and visit some friends about half an hour north of us. They had no plans for Thanksgiving Day so we invited them for dinner. We had a BLAST! They took us out to dinner the following night while my mom babysat for our 3 and her DD. I will never forget that very special weekend!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Autumn in Western NY
Old 09-13-2017, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I so miss the glorious colors of autumn in NYS. We had a horse chestnut tree (not the edible kind) in the front of our mid-19th century home. We would collect them in paper grocery bags as we raked the leaves. (I sometimes thought that was why my parents ended up having 6 kids - cheap labor! ) They were then stored in our garage (actually an old carriage house) until the snow fell and we could make snow forts. Then we'd attack each others' forts with the horse chestnuts! We were SOOOO bad!

We, too, would drive to an orchard. Henion's orchards. There we would get our pumpkins, buy apples, and taste the sweet cider (Dad would buy a jug of the hard!)

Western NY, particularly my area, was a HUGE fruit producing area. Apples, peaches, cherries, plums. I remember seeing the fruit trucks lined up along the side of the road waiting to drop their load at the old Duffy-Mott factory as we went to school. The aroma was amazing! They processed all those fruits into cans and juices. Sadly, they went out of business in the 70s.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

CZMOM

Old 09-14-2017, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Jumping in piles of leaves
Carving jack o lanterns
Choosing and making Halloween costumes
Trick or Treating
Having the day after Halloween off from school ( attended Catholic school) for All Saints Day
Making and eating Carmel apples and popcorn balls
Watching my older brother play football
CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 09-21-2017, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Jumping in the leaves
Carmel apples we made ours
Crisp air
Leaves changing colors
I miss this season.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote