Help

Retired Teachers

Losing weight...ugh

>

connieg

Losing weight...ugh
Old 09-22-2017, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm trying to lose 10 pounds and have amped up the walking (brisk for 60 minutes a day- min. 10K steps), food intake- healthy about 1,200 calories. I have been on a plateau for 2 weeks (lost 8 so far). Ugh. Any suggestions on helping with this struggle?

I use myfitnesspal and a fitness monitor.

connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-22-2017, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I suggest weighing/measuring your food. If you're really consuming less than 1200 calories daily and exercising daily, you should be slowly losing. I use MFP, too. I don't "eat back" my exercise calories, do you? If you do, it will take longer to lose. And be especially careful about portion size. Finally, the truth: sensible weight loss is a slow process--you're doing everything right, hang in there.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 09-22-2017, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I started the Whole 30 program on Sept. 5, so I am on day 18 now. I mainly did it because my sweets addiction was awful, and I have food allergies, seasonal allergies, and experienced heartburn. I had gained weight that I didn't need. I weighed myself on day 1 and then will again after day 30.

The difference of not eating sweets and processed foods has been amazing to me. All my eating problems have disappeared, and even though I haven't weighed, I can see and feel the difference in my body.

So, even though you are on a 1200 calorie diet, maybe changing the types of foods will help. Plateaus are so frustrating!
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

readbooks

10 pounds
Old 09-22-2017, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That and or inches is usually my goal. My #'s on the scale is not always my problem. The belly buldge and side rolls are what gets me into trouble. I enjoy walking my 3 miles but I find walking combined with workout videos and careful eating are what is most effective for me.

Leslie Sandstone walk away the miles is my favovorite. I think I get more from those than just my outside walks. Enjoy walks too much to give them up so I pair the two.

Last edited by readbooks; 09-22-2017 at 05:06 PM..
readbooks is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-22-2017, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Can you add some strength training and change your exercise routine? Those increase your metabolism. Something else that will increase it is to do at least 3 spurts of 30 seconds each when you walk (change to a jog or much faster walk) with about 2 minutes between each spurt. Do your exercising within 3 hours before you eat a meal because for 3 hours after a good cardio your calorie burn doubles!

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 09-23-2017, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with Nancy about strength training (very important!) and intervals.

Not that I'm proof of what works. I posted during the summer that, after trying for ages to lose five pounds, I had finally succeeded. I've maintained that now for four months, so that's good, but I'd like to take off two-three more, and haven't managed that yet.

Oddly enough, I saw my earlier success when I started going out for burgers and fries once or twice a week. I'm not saying that would work for everyone, because I'm guessing that most people eat a lot more meat and more fat than I do, but it may work to shake things up with what you're eating, just as experts say to do with exercise when we hit plateaus.

Good luck! I know how frustrating it is.
GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-23-2017, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

GlacierRose, I love your burger/fries theory. Add to that my hill theory. When I hit a plateau, I tackle a terrible (long and steep) nearby hill. I do think there's a lot to be said for shaking up routine.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Old 09-23-2017, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The shakeup idea worked for me last month. I indulged in some ice cream and my weight went down the next day. Go figure.

chronicfun

when you don't have a lot to lose
Old 09-25-2017, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Those plateaus are frustrating! You've already lost the bulk of what you want to lose which is awesome!! Those last 2 pounds WILL come off if you just keep on doing what you are doing or switch it up a bit with more caloric intake for a day or 2 and then going back to the lower caloric intake. Your body is readjusting to the new amount of fuel in your body. Sometimes the temptation is to give up but don't!

I've been on WW since January. When I get to these plateaus I continue the plan or eat more for a day or 2. I maintain the same weight for 2-3 weeks and then drop a couple pounds at once. It's taken me 9 months to lose 20 pounds. Slow and steady wins the race.
chronicfun is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Old 09-25-2017, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for the encouragement. Love the dark side icon...

teachwonder

Old 09-25-2017, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It is my personal opinion that God made one mistake...calories!! We should be able to eat as much as we want and our bodies shed the excess calories. Self control? Rats!!
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Those Last 2
Old 09-27-2017, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I apologize in advance for my sense of humor and levity. If this is a serious topic for you then read no further as I have a few suggestions from the "dark side"

1. Have a colonoscopy

2. Kiss a snotty nosed grandchild/neighnor/kid at the mall. Its easy to not eat when your nose is stuffed and you can't taste

3. Share food with said grandchild/neighbor/kid at the mall

4. Try on some too small clothes

5. Indulge in the food samples at your local grocery store. A stomach virus is certainly to follow.

6. If all these methods fail...change your exercise routine. Do fast and slow intervals, a different route, or even your usual route backwards. We are genetically programed to hang onto fat. Your body is trying to survive what it perceives to be "world famine". Changes seem to calm this instinct. Good luck.
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Old 09-28-2017, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This one made me laugh: 5. Indulge in the food samples at your local grocery store. A stomach virus is certainly to follow.

My DH refuses to take samples after watching a snotty nose OLD lady demonstrating poor hygiene.

The other ideas just don't help me, even though they are funny. I seem to have no problem eating when I am not feeling well....

lots2do

Old 10-03-2017, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've been thinking of trying WW again. I have to do something.
lots2do is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Old 10-03-2017, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I lost nine pounds in the last almost nine weeks. I feel better in so many respects. Although my weight and fitness level indicate that I will derive no health benefit from further weight loss, I think about 5 more pounds is a good target. I can hardly wait until age 80 when the medical community agrees you probably shouldn't try to lose more weight!